Cold Stabilization?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swedeman

Reaction score
Do you normally cold stabilize your wine kits before bottling? Today when grabbing a bottle of WE Eclipse Chardonnay (Sonoma Dry Creek Valley), I noticed that there were some tartaric acid crystals in it. The bottle had been stored at 12-15 Celsius (53-59 F) for a tad over 7 months. This is the first time this happened to me. I don't know how common this is on (high end) kits but that made me curious, do you cold stabilize your wine?

I cold stabilize just because my storage area goes into the 50's during the winter. I've had many high and low end kits drop out some crystals. My best diamond producer so far has been a Diablo Rojo low end kit. Get at least a tablespoon per bottle, and I didn't add any tartaric to the kit (at least my notes don't mention it).

I usually cold stabilize whenever I can since I try not to use fining agents and the cold helps it clear better. But I've never had a an issue with crystals in bottles so I would say if you can do a cold stabilization, you might as well

Latest posts

Back