Cold stabilization questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbsynj

Junior
Reaction score
Do I have to rack off the tartrate crystals while the wine is still cold? Will it go back into solution if I let it warm up? Here is why I am asking:

I have about 6 gallons of wine that I am cold stabilizing in a 32 degree fridge - been about 2 1/2 weeks and I believe it is done. I always heat and cold stabilize simultaneously - by doing a bentonite addition letting it settle a few days then moving to the fridge.

Normally I would rack off the crystals and bentonite precipitate straight away into a clean carboy and let settle for a few more days to clear, filter and then bottle.

Note - these are fresh grape wines. This time I have a Rose that was perfectly clear before I started this, then added the bentonite - which after a few days was also clearing - but then got mixed back up into solution when moving the carboy to the fridge. However after 2 1/2 weeks in the fridge it is still not clearing. I have white wine that I am doing the same with and its cleared fine in the fridge.

I am hoping this Rose clears again upon warm up - no idea what happened or why - and I am not sure whether I can pull it out of the fridge and not rack right away to let it warm up and resettle - but wasn't sure if the crystals would go back into solution and thus be right back where I started - except with cloudy wine!

Thanks in advance.

you can do both. I would always rack while cold. some have suggestion that the crystals would not return if warmed I would not take the chance.

The potassium tartrate can dissolve upon warming although that process is a bit slow. If you are going to rack it right away after warming you may be ok but it won't be guaranteed to be stable at your lowest stabilizing temperature. Best is to rack it cold.

Since cold liquids dissolve air more easily than warm liquids, the oxidation risk is much higher when racking cold wine. I always allow it to warm some before racking off. Yes, some tartrate will redissolve but it is negligible and does not throw crystals later in the bottle.

Back