Cold Stabilization Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebusify

Reaction score
Leaving for trip and want to take my Pinot Noir but it will only be cold stabilzed for 9 days. Would love for it to be 2 weeks but leaving for trip. Think it will be ok?

Depends on the stabilization temperature, the wine itself and the container. I always sprinkle cream of tartar (aka. potassium bitartrate) over the top of the cold wine to encourage crystal formation. A 5gal batch would only take 1/2 tsp. After that it is stabilized in 2 more days. (You can monitor the stabilization process with a conductivity meter.)

And I'll add that if you plan to store&serve the wine at room temp, then cold stabilization is not strictly necessary unless you are trying to lower acidity or simply ensure crystals do not form. Since I deal with high TA grapes, I almost always cold stabilize my dry reds since it drops the TA by about 0.5g/L. And of course I always cold stab the whites since those will be chilled for serving.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back