Cold hardy education

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeSheetsToTheWind

Skeeter Pee Sommelier
Reaction score
I'm growing some Marechal Fosh, Marquette and Louise Swenson vines on my property with plans to propagate my vines and expand as I go. My goal is to one day be able to make ~100 to 150 bottles a year as a hobby, but who knows, I've got 3.5 acres if i want to go bigger or add varietties.

Problem is I don't know the first thing about growing grapes and the more I read online, the more confused I get. Every source seems to offer different or conflicting information. Also, sources of information on these particular varieties, especially Fosh and Louise Swenson, seem pretty few and far between.

Is there a definitive guide that I could turn to for info on growing, pruning and general care of my vines?

Thanks in advance for any help guys and gals!

PS: I apologise in advance if what I'm looking for is staring me in the face lol

Before passing away, I bought a book from the author Dr. Rombough. It’s a good reference overall. Dr. Rombough was kind enough to answer questions I’d send by email. I was sad to learn of his passing. But his work/website is still active.

He wasn’t as strong on canopy management as is recommended for cold climates. But otherwise it’s a very good resource on everything you are asking from starting a vineyard to pruning and vine propagation.

http://bunchgrapes.com/publications.html

Other than that, you might want to check with Univ of Minn Cooperative Extension or similar based on where you are located. They likely have references and studies as well as best practices.

But ask 11 growers a question an$ you will get 12 answers. So confusion is part of the game.

Worst thing to do though is doing nothing because of the confusion. You lose time.

Starting with a few vines and expanding is how I started. Just 2 at first. And then 12 more and now I have around 100.

Thanks for the link and the words of encouragement Steven. I'm sick with a cold today so might as well take it easy and do some reading.

Worst thing to do though is doing nothing because of the confusion. You lose time.

I was once told by an employer "The only thing worse than the wrong decision is indecision". The guy was a total asshat to work for and I'm sure he didn't come up with that himself but those words have stuck with me over the years.

There is a winery nearby that makes fantastic wines. I didn't even care for wine until I tasted their Fosh.I know its not a "noble grape" but I'm no snob. I would be quite happy living out the rest of my life with only their Fosh.They make a Marquette that is also very good. They even offered to give me some cuttings for free if I wanted some in the spring. I might offer to help prune for a day just so I can get a crash course of the process and pick their brains a bit.
Lovely people but I don't want to ask too many questions when I go over, I don't want them to think I'm trying to get the secret formula from them lol. They might lock the doors and turn out the lights when they see me coming lol.

My neighbor makes a good wine with Fosh. Should be worth a try.

I doubt that the neighboring winery will be too concerned with you stealing their secrets unless you ask for some labels too. :b

Get well!

I'm not sure what state you live in but there is likely a grape and/or winery association which can provide lots of information for you. I'd talk to your local folks. Also, look up information on the Northern Grapes Project - a multistate research program for cold climate grapes. There is lots of great information out there.

Also, a word of caution. Some grapes are still protected under patents. Marquette is one of those grapes. You are not allowed to propagate it without paying royalties. It is best if you purchase any protected vines from a licensed nursery. People put in lots of time, effort and expense creating new grape varieties and it is tantamount to stealing from their work to propagate protected vines illegally.

Foch and Louise Swenson are not patented.

visit the Winemaker Magazine site I believe they have a publication on growing vines that you could purchase.

the best idea you have is help your neighbor winery they will give you all kinds of advice. there is no secret formula just patience and hard work.

Also, a word of caution. Some grapes are still protected under patents. Marquette is one of those grapes

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea.

the best idea you have is help your neighbor winery they will give you all kinds of advice. there is no secret formula just patience and hard work.

I'm sure you're right, just don't want to step on any toes

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea.

I'm sure you're right, just don't want to step on any toes

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it
The secret to winemaking is be yourself, Develop your own style, if you are happy with it then it is good wine. Simple as that.

Latest posts

Back