Cold fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dabillskid

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone tried colder red wine fermentation? I’m reading you can get more fruit extraction and a more quality wine if you go low and slow. Seems like main issues would be stalling of yeasts. I was thinking you could maybe counter this by starting lower and bumping up temps over time or using yeast nutrient at some point ? Thanks

I periodically run a 50F ferment with reds or whites. I have never had an issue with it finishing. For me with a non traditional temp I will let it grow out at room temp (exponential growth phase) for a day to get the population up and then cool it down. One of the goals with fermentation is to get to five percent alcohol fairly quickly since this inhibits most bacterial families. IF you delay alcohol you are encouraging other cultures to become dominant and not get a clean tasting alcoholic fermentation.
You have non traditional yeast ex. ale yeast which can ferment at lower temps and might be part of a mixed culture. The ones I have looked at were dirty fermenting/ foamed lots.

FRUIT for white wines can be accomplished at 50 or 55”'. ,,, and most wine yeast are happy there.

I periodically run a 50F ferment with reds or whites. I have never had an issue with it finishing. For me with a non traditional temp I will let it grow out at room temp (exponential growth phase) for a day to get the population up and then cool it down. One of the goals with fermentation is to get to five percent alcohol fairly quickly since this inhibits most bacterial families. IF you delay alcohol you are encouraging other cultures to become dominant and not get a clean tasting alcoholic fermentation.
You have non traditional yeast ex. ale yeast which can ferment at lower temps and might be part of a mixed culture. The ones I have looked at were dirty fermenting/ foamed lots.

FRUIT for white wines can be accomplished at 50 or 55”'. ,,, and most wine yeast are happy there.
Thanks for the reply, does yeast strain matter compared to the typical red strains used. For example I was looking at the charts and there are plenty I can use that will work with lower temps. For example Lavin 1118. Thanks

does yeast strain matter compared to the typical red strains used. For example I was looking at the charts and there are plenty I can use that will work with lower temps.
I am not from the yeast industry so I look at the chart just like you did, and then if it says 50 I have done 45F. ,,,, This is not optimal growth and increases the infection risk ,,, in my experience the QA manager always put in a safety factor.
https://www.winemakingtalk.com/thre...rial-webinars-by-suppliers.73427/#post-797511

Back