Cold crashing restarted fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Praying this ferments
Reaction score
First time for me. I made Hibiscus SP, it fermented to 1.000 and I decided to cold crash it to help it clear. After two days of cold crashing I let it to go back to room temp. A week later it was as 0.990, not a huge change but still.
Ever happen to anyone else?

I'm not surprised at your result. The cold temporarily stops fermentation and may inhibit it from restarting, but it doesn't kill the yeast. To prevent the fermentation from restarting, you need to stabilize (sorbate, K-meta) before the wine warms up.

I think the unstated piece of information in your post was how long it sat at 1.000?

Also, was the cold-crashingn successful in the sense that it preciptated a lot of potassium tartrate or other salts out of solution?

It Was at 1.000 for a week.
The cold crashing was quite successful, almost completely cleared the wine.
I think the unstated piece of information in your post was how long it sat at 1.000?

Also, was the cold-crashingn successful in the sense that it preciptated a lot of potassium tartrate or other salts out of solution?

Latest posts

Back