Cold crashing a fruit wine experience?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donatelo

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon peach wine that doesn't want to clear. Does anyone have experience with cold crashing ? I was told to place it in a larger tub and pack ice around it to help it clear. It is about a month into the secondary and has a SG of .992. I'd like to get it to clear and then rack to a second carboy to let it finish for another two months.

Wish I could give words of encouragement but for me Peach wine is a true test of patience - Last batch took 14 months to clear, 2 doses of Bentonite, and Chitosan. EVEN with plenty of pectic enzyme. Hopefully someone can share their cold crash results with peach and a more favorable result.

Since your wine is so "young" I would just continue the normal racking routines and of course add a dose of bentonite if you haven't already done that. If peach wine wasn't so doggone good I wouldn't mess with it again, but; it is well worth the wait. I like to just sit and smell a glass of it.

Interestingly another favorite of mine now... I expected to be as bad as peach but it cleared quickly first time around and appears to be doing the same now - Pineapple-mango.

In any case hang in there - this is one of those cases where your patience WILL be tested, but the reward will be worth it.

How much pectic enzyme did you use? Have you used any post ferment?

Last years peach I used a double dose of enzyme preferment and a single dose post ferment. Cleared with Kielsol / Chitosan combo I had left over from a kit wine.

Thanks , guys. I haven't added anything since fermentation stopped. I have bentonite, K/C, K-meta and pectic enzyme.
I think I'll wait another week and rack into a clean carboy , degas, and add bentonite, but I really didn't want to just keep adding more chemicals to this.

I have good luck with the K/C combo. I usually apply it after about 6 months. Sometimes it works within a couple of days, and sometimes it works gradually until is totally clear after about a month. Peach takes patience for sure.

I understand about the chemical avoidance - That's my approach too. BUT on the good side Bentonite isn't really a chemical - it's just a volcanic clay. It's used in well drilling to plug leaks, As Oil Dry to absorb spills, and it's in most kitty litters. Weird but other than the pain of mixing it up, it's the one treatment I don't mind using. I used the Chitosan only because, if I remember correctly it is negatively charged and Bentonite is positively charged so the two make a good One-two combination, although I prefer to not use Chitosan if the Bentonite does the job. If you decide to buy Bentonite make sure you get the Calcium Bentonite not the Sodium Bentonite.

Back