Coffee Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
Hello!

So while sitting enjoying a cup of coffee and reading these forums, a light blub went off, and I thought why not make coffee wine!?!?! So a quick trip over to Jack Keller's website provided me with the appropiate recipe:

<CENTER>COFFEE WINE (1)</CENTER>
<UL>
<LI>½ lb freshly ground coffee
<LI>2½ lbs dark brown sugar
<LI>1½ tsp citric acid
<LI>¼ tsp tannin
<LI>7½ pts water
<LI>1 tsp yeast nutrient
<LI>Sauterne wine yeast </LI>[/list]

Pour water in pot and put on to boil. Stir in sugar until dissolved. When sugar is completely dissolved, stir coffee into water and wait until it boils. Remove from heat, cover and allow to cool. To a sanitized secondary, combine citric acid, tannin and yeast nutrient. Strain coffee through double layer of muslin into secondary, discarding the grounds. Add activated yeast and cover mouth of secondary with napkin held in place with rubber band. When fermentation is vigorous, fit airlock. Rack three times, 60 days apart, topping up and refitting airlock each time. If desired dry, rack into bottles. If desired sweet or semi-sweet, stabilize, sweeten to taste, wait 10 days, and rack into bottles. [Recipe adapted from Leo Zanelli's Home Winemaking from A to Z]
You can find the website here: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request110.asp

Has anyone ever tried this? How do this recipe look?

The 7 1/2 pts water, is that parts, or pints?

Scuba

I added some coffee beans to an orange juice wine that is awesome and I also made a mocha mead with fresh ground coffee that was very good at bottling.

One thing I remember reading on a mead forum is to be ready for some foaming during fermentation and with my experience with the mocha I agree! Make sure you go by your target SG and be ready to add more coffee flavor, Jack's recipes tend to have more sugar and a thin taste to them for some. And I'm guessing but that most likely pints.

ive done it with instant coffee-- we made 5 gallons and it was a hit-- coffee wine is a good idea.

enjoy.

Wade said:
Did you drink it on the way to work in the car Scotty?

hich yuppiee mm better that vita meta vegimin from i love lucy.
smiley36.gif

Scotty have you been to the Florida Orange Groves &amp; Winery in St. Pete? I know it's a bit of a drive, but well worth the wine tastings and they have a coffee orange wine called "Midnight Sun" that is terrific. And Wade I would love to drink this one in the morning, afternoon or evening.

we will have to put that on our list.

vcasey said:
Scotty have you been to the Florida Orange Groves &amp; Winery in St. Pete? I know it's a bit of a drive, but well worth the wine tastings and they have a coffee orange wine called "Midnight Sun" that is terrific. And Wade I would love to drink this one in the morning, afternoon or evening.

Scubaman2151 said:
scotty said:
ive done it with instant coffee-- we made 5 gallons and it was a hit-- coffee wine is a good idea.

enjoy.

Recipe?

now you are pushing me--- ok ill try to find it just for you lol lol--i remember how good it was when finished but disgusting lookin in the making.

I originally took it from jack kellars site-- i made 3 gallons though
and i used nescafe- my normal proceedure is just to treat it like any wine-primary fermenter with nutrient and energizer---1118 yeast sterter bottle before pitching- transfer to carboy after yeast has time to propogateand ferment till dry--rack off lees-- use super kleer- stabilise and de gass-- back sweeten with 4 ounces of sugar per gallon((measuring cup ounces not by weight))

it looked and tasted just like it was coffee wine--

enjoy :)
This is the one gallon recipe that i have in my files. but again i used diferent coffee.

<UL>
<LI>1¼ cup instant mocha coffee
<LI>2½ lbs light brown sugar
<LI>1½ tsp citric acid
<LI>¼ tsp tannin
<LI>7 pts water
<LI>1 tsp yeast nutrient
<LI>Pasteur Red or Côte des Blancs wine yeast </LI>[/list]

MY NOTE: DONT FORGET TO OXYGENATE ANYTHING THAT YOU INTEND TO PITCH YEAST INTO IF THE RECIPE OR METHOD CALLED FOR BOILING THE LIQUID. I USE YEAST HULLS IN ADITION TO ANYTHING CALLED FOR.
NOTE: COOL BEFORE PITCHING

Pour water in pot and put on to boil. Stir in sugar until dissolved. When sugar is completely dissolved, stir instant mocha mix into water. When water boils, remove from heat, cover and allow to cool. When at room temperature, stir in citric acid, tannin and yeast nutrient. Transfer to secondary, add activated yeast and cover mouth of secondary with napkin held in place with rubber band. When fermentation is vigorous, fit airlock. Rack three times, 60 days apart, topping up and refitting airlock each time. If desired dry, rack into bottles. If desired sweet or semi-sweet, stabilize, sweeten to taste, wait 10 days, and rack into bottles.

I THINK HIS RACKING SO OFTEN IS NOT NECESSARY--JUST USE GOOD WINE MAKING TECHNIQUES.

Latest posts

Back