Coffee Wine??? Here I go lol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep all cold brew and i use mexican vanilla, more flavour and potent than the store bought With the addition of the vanilla i have yet to have to back sweeten, vanilla seems to take care of that. Never tried homemade vanilla, just got into making my own, next year will be able to try that.

I use 2 teaspoons per gallon. Have a coconut and caramel as well as a caramel cocoa going right now, see how they turn out.

Been making coffee wines for a couple years, if you want to up the flavour a little add a couple teaspoons of real vanilla right after your final racking, let it sit atleast 2 weeks before bottling. Here is a comment i got from a customer who i madr a couple custom batchs of wine for.

I tried the sulawesi last night and it tastes amazing. I get the cold brew coffee notes at the beginning, then chocolate to dark chocolate and cameral flavors in the middle and back, and almost a chocolate milkshake flavor for the finish. You've got one hellva talent for making wine my friend. I can't wait to taste more of your creations.
From start to finish, how long would you say before your coffee wine is good for drinking?

So I started my version 7 days ago and it's the most stubborn and slow ferment I've ever experienced. I'm assuming it's a combination of the acidic coffee and the 60 to 65 degree temps in my cellar. This morning I moved it outside to warm up on our 80 degree day and that seems to have invigorated the process. I used 2 gallons of cold brewed from 1 lb. of beans fresh ground. I added a syrup of 8lbs dark brown sugar, 4 oz dark chocolate and 2 tbsp dark cocoa and 1.5 gal water simmered then steeped over night like the coffee. Added water to 4 gallons, nutrients and 1116 yeast. Starting SG of 1.085 and as of this afternoon I'm at 1.068. Still bubbling so I'll just be patient and assume the warm up gets it on track.

So I started my version 7 days ago and it's the most stubborn and slow ferment I've ever experienced. I'm assuming it's a combination of the acidic coffee and the 60 to 65 degree temps in my cellar. This morning I moved it outside to warm up on our 80 degree day and that seems to have invigorated the process. I used 2 gallons of cold brewed from 1 lb. of beans fresh ground. I added a syrup of 8lbs dark brown sugar, 4 oz dark chocolate and 2 tbsp dark cocoa and 1.5 gal water simmered then steeped over night like the coffee. Added water to 4 gallons, nutrients and 1116 yeast. Starting SG of 1.085 and as of this afternoon I'm at 1.068. Still bubbling so I'll just be patient and assume the warm up gets it on track.

Coffee wine will be slow to start fermenting, all of mine has usually taken between 3 and 4 days to really start and it does like warmer temps around 75.

So I've reached 1.002 SG finally, 17 days total, by far the longest ferment I've ever dealt with. Right at 4 gallons before racking or fortifying. Next decision, grain alcohol, vodka or brandy. Wine tastes of coffee first followed by a more subtle chocolate, the chocolate is almost a background note. I'd like to dilute the flavor as little as possible and while brandy and coffee sound like a good pairing I'd like the coffee to stand on it's own. I'm expecting to hear "bench tests are your friend" and think I'll start with the 190 ever clear in order to add as little as possible. Looks like creamed coffee right now, think I'll rack, sulfite and fine before starting the fortifying process.

So I've reached 1.002 SG finally, 17 days total, by far the longest ferment I've ever dealt with. Right at 4 gallons before racking or fortifying. Next decision, grain alcohol, vodka or brandy. Wine tastes of coffee first followed by a more subtle chocolate, the chocolate is almost a background note. I'd like to dilute the flavor as little as possible and while brandy and coffee sound like a good pairing I'd like the coffee to stand on it's own. I'm expecting to hear "bench tests are your friend" and think I'll start with the 190 ever clear in order to add as little as possible. Looks like creamed coffee right now, think I'll rack, sulfite and fine before starting the fortifying process.
I too had to try this. For me took 14 days to drop below 1000. I did keep a brew belt on due to temperature in my basement brew room. Am liking the coffee aroma! When it's time might have to try small sample with the vanilla.

Here's an update on the coffee wine.
Today I backsweeten with a dark brown sugar simple syrup, added a tsp of vanilla extract and 3 grams of Medium Toasted Hungarian Oak Cubes. (3 cubes) My wife and I did a bench trial on it for the backsweetening. SG is now a 1.002 from a .990. It is semi sweet with a very interesting taste. The coffee aroma still hits you when opened. It almost tastes like a brandy with coffee under tones. Very smooth and a nice mouth feel. It is going to be a very nice dessert wine. I'm very happy with the way its turning out!
I will rack off of the oak cubes after 3 to 4 weeks and then let it age for 6 months before revisiting it.
Sometime around October!

Here's an update on the coffee wine.
Today I backsweeten with a dark brown sugar simple syrup, added a tsp of vanilla extract and 3 grams of Medium Toasted Hungarian Oak Cubes. (3 cubes) My wife and I did a bench trial on it for the backsweetening. SG is now a 1.002 from a .990. It is semi sweet with a very interesting taste. The coffee aroma still hits you when opened. It almost tastes like a brandy with coffee under tones. Very smooth and a nice mouth feel. It is going to be a very nice dessert wine. I'm very happy with the way its turning out!
I will rack off of the oak cubes after 3 to 4 weeks and then let it age for 6 months before revisiting it.
Sometime around October!
That sounds like a success! Can't wait till mine is at that stage. Thanks for following up on this and the exelent tips to try. Will post my 2 cents worth when ready.

That sounds good @photoguy. I am interested to here how you make out with yours.
You know it’s a winner when the wife says, "Wow, your going to have to make more of this!" Lol
Good one. Unfortunately my wife doesn't drink or eat my various smoked sausages I make so I have to suffer and eat and drink it all my self. Someone has to lol!,,and thanks for the like.

So I went ahead today and racked it of into primary. Mixed about 4 cups of brown sugar in some hot water,simmered for 10 min. Or so .let cool before mixing it into the wine. Plus 7 ts. Vanilla extract (that's all I had) and stabilizer. S.g. was 1002. Has great taste,not bitter at all just a little thin. Mabey need to start with more coffee? Now just let it rest for few weeks and see then. So far I like.

So I went ahead today and racked it of into primary. Mixed about 4 cups of brown sugar in some hot water,simmered for 10 min. Or so .let cool before mixing it into the wine. Plus 7 ts. Vanilla extract (that's all I had) and stabilizer. S.g. was 1002. Has great taste,not bitter at all just a little thin. Mabey need to start with more coffee? Now just let it rest for few weeks and see then. So far I like.
How much coffee did you start with and how many gallons is your batch?
Also, are you planning to oak it?

I used 576g. (1lb.?) In 23L. 6gal.? Probably not enough. S.g.1080. Could be I did the conversion for 6gal.wrong. No oak this time. Wanted to make second batch with oak and compare. Learning all the time.lol.

I used roughly 236g (1 cup) of coffee beans to 2419g (3 quarts) water. So I used 3 quarts of cold brew to 1 gallon. Then I topped up with 1 cup of cold brew after I racked off the gross lees into a clean 1 gal. carboy.
So the answer is yes to more coffee next time.

I read my notes wrong. It was 2 quarts of cold brew to a 1 gallon carboy . After adding sugar, acid blend, nutrient and yeast it came to almost 6 quarts of must.
I started off with 3 quarts of cold brew and only added 2 quarts to the must.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back