Other Coastal White (White Burgundy Style) (Vintner's Reserve)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing you saw the 2 for 1 at midwest. It's an ok white wine, great for a first learning kit. I used a lot of mine in cooking but just bought two more and think I'll be able to make them a little better this time around.
Mike

what if i use 2 kits to make 1 6gallon batch?

I would strongly advise against that course of action. The wine would be so high is initial SG that you would not be able to find a yeast that could handle the alcohol. I expect that it would stop fermenting way before you would want it to, you would likely be unable to restart it and it would be so sweet as to be nauseating.

There are other ways to improve this wine and I would start with a box of white raisins in primary. You could also add some interest to the wine with various extract, orange and lemon for example.

I also bought the "two for" special and I plan to add white raisins in either primary or secondary, not sure. I might go the citrus extract route also. I am looking for a nice, light wine to drink in the afternoon with a little bit of mild cheese and some crackers. I am shooting for an initial SG of about 1.088 to 1.092 to keep the ABV around 11.5 to 12% or so.

I agree with Rocky here again. You would mess up the balance. If you buy it, make it for what it is and enjoy twice as much wine for really a very good price.

I have eleven gallons waiting for me to bottle when I get back to the winery (my cellar). I am looking forward to that as it is the best kit I have made. The other two were amazon.com kits for around 35 bucks.

I think that it is a pretty good wine. Of course, you have to keep your expectations in check and the description is a little misleading in my opinion. They say that it is, "full-bodied with a robust flavor," but it is more light- to medium- bodied with good flavor. Mine fermented very dry, 0.993, and I have been playing with backsweetening, although at this level of dryness I have been considering carbonating it too. I am also considering the Midwest offer to buy more. Maybe a couple of bananas in the primary or a different yeast. I definitely would not try to make one batch out of two kits; like Rocky said, it would present you with a slew of issues. If you get the two-for-1, it might, I am going to stress the might, be worth it to make one batch to only five or five and one half gallons like some people do with the Vino Italiano kits, but even then you will have to test to keep your acid and alcohol levels in order.

I think that it would get out of balance very quickly, so probably not the best idea. To give you a point of reference, my starting SG was 1.092, so my finished ABV was pushing 13%.

What would adding bananas do? And how many would you add? In a bag or float them? Basically I'm new to this, and plan on making this kit tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,

David

If tried to post two other times, but I don't see it. So if this is the third time, I apologize. I started one of my BOGOs on 1/18. I added 1 lb raisins and 1 cup light oak. I chopped the raisins and added them to the boiling oak to coax out the sugar. After a couple of squeezes of the strainer bag and a good stir, the starting SG at six gal was 1.12. So be careful adding sugar. It is already down to .996 so I transferred it to secondary just now, and it still as airlock activity.

Back