WineXpert co2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkey wines

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I bottled WE VR Riesling kit. It had a very strange smell. I took a sample into the shop I had bought the kit from, andwas toldthat it was co2 causing the smell, and that it it would go in time. I opened another bottle last night, and the smell seemed the same, or maybe a little worse.

Is this batch ruined, should I chuck it and mark it up to experience, being my first kit.

I was also told that I could add glycerine to make it taste better.

Thanks for you help.
smiley11.gif

If it is truly co2 causing the smell it can be removed so don't chuck it! The simplest way to remove it now that you have it all in bottles is the get a vacuum wine saver by Vacu-Vin and you can pull the gas out of solution as you open each bottle and let it air out a bit before drinking. Do this when wine is at room temperture, you can always chill it before drinking if you want.

A simple test is to pour a small amount into a large wine glass and taste, then swirl the wine around for a few minutes and let it rest.Repeat this 3 or 4 times over say 30 mins and then taste again and if it was co2 causing the taste it should bemuch better.

Please let us know how this works cause I just made this test up but I think it will work.

Also get yourself a drill mount stirrer....a must have to prevent this in the future!

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?GC_Category=Equipm ent&SubCategory=mixer&PartNumber=15262

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?GC_Category=Miscel laneous&SubCategory=Bar+Supplies&PartNumber=2909

Edited by: masta

Hi Masta

Thanks for your reply. I will try the swirl test this evening, and let you know. I would like to try it now but its befor 10 am,
smiley5.gif
and I have to take the kids to preschool in a couple of hours. Don't know how well I would be recieved smelling of wine before noon.

Monkey wines

Welcome to the forum, Monkey Wines! I also believe what you are smelling is the CO2 bringing the SO2 up to the surface of the wine. George is right. Stirring is the way to get rid of the CO2 and the excess SO2.

Hi,

I tried the swirl test and it seemed to work. The smell did seem to go after a while. I also bought one of the things that you reccomended to take the co2 out of the bottle. I poured a glass out then tryed, there was a lot of bubbles each time I used it.

I guess you learn with each kit you make.

Thanks to both of youfor your help

Monkey Wines

Sure thang, Monkey. You will be a bonafide expert real soon, I promise!

smiley4.gif

CO2 is thenumber one issue I deal with. I had a customer bring me in a bottle today with exactly the same symptoms. On your next kit, get a drill mounted stirrer and use it when stabilizing. You will be surprised at the amount of CO2 in your wine.

For the wine you have now, you can either decant it when you open a bottle or just let it breath for one hour. I would also shake it up before opening to dislodge as much CO2 as you can.

At least hold your finger over the cork when you shake the wine up.

Again, experience has taught me this lesson.
smiley18.gif

Since I use a primary bucket for my secondary (right or wrong) I mix real well when I stablize and fine the bolero kit specifies stirring two minutes waiting fifteen and repeating twice before adding the fining agents. I guess a drill mounted stirrer would make this possible in a carboy.

I know of noone who does that. I put up all my bottles clean, so with the used and if I am using any new ones, I just rinse them with the vinator, hang on the tree, and fill.

I think most commercial wineries just blow air in them to remove manufacturing dust, if that.

I like cleaning using the vinator. It just that thought of "what might of been there before...or packing dust, etc. This way I can only blame myself if need be.

Just started the "En Primeur" yesterday for a friend. Could hardly lift the bag of juice. Came with two (2) bags of chips, but yet it didn't have the instructions stating when to add it in...Had to call George on this...confirmed that it's added in the primary first hand. (I use to never read instructions when building 1/25 scale model cars) but with expensive wine, I better...and the info is not clear???

From now on Joe, just add oak to the must and leave it in the entire fermentation. You will be glad.

Back