CO2 top off and rodent euthanasia

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark500

Reaction score
Ok, this is weird, but what the heck.
I racked some granbarolo from a 5 to a 6 gallon carboy, planning on bottling it in a couple of days.
So I topped off the 6 gallon carboy with CO2, using a method that can be used to euthanize pet rodents.
Put 1/2 cup of baking soda in a large food baggy. In the baggy, place a cup full of vinegar. Close baggy around proximal tube. Put distal tube in carboy but not in wine. Vinegar in cup withinin bag should be higher than carboy. Now pour vinegar out of cup into baggy with baking soda. The bag inflates and the CO2 (heavier than air) travels down the tube and settles in the carboy. Seal carboy with air valve. I will let you know if I made my wine taste like vinegar.
FYI, this method of euthanasia is effective and humane. Use aplastic milk bottle to hold the rodent.And don't dump all the vinegar into the bag at once. Just do a little, and then the CO2 will cause the rodent to fall asleep. After that, then dump the rest of the vinegar.

Why restrict its use to rodents? Seems it could be used for lots of non-rodent critters...

Oh me...I think im having the big one !!!!!! Vinegar and wine just don't mix well. Even the fumes I think could potentially turn your carboy of wine into a huge jug of vinegar.

Im not sure on this one but would veer on playing it safe and keep any vinegar in another room or at least as far as possible.

Latest posts

Back