co2 or Malic acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuz

Reaction score
So I have a previous post asking about carbonation in wine that I bottled from Festa juice. The overall consensus was - don't worry, shake the carbonation out and enjoy. However the more I read about Malic acid the more I am concerned. If the worse case scenario is that I have Malic acid in my wine, is it drinkable or will I get sick from it.

PS: it is a lot of carbonation - Cork pops like a champagne bottle and I can shake it and shoot it like a bottle of coke.

Malic acid will not harm you in any way. Most (maybe even all) wine kits are balanced with malic acid.

And, if it is malic, the bacteria are converting it to lactic, as in milk, to make the CO2. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Like others have said... Malic is a harsh acid, but occurs naturally in grape juice. Not to worry so long as your TA and PH numbers look good.

did you back sweeten this wine without adding sorbate? your description seems to relate to refermentation in the bottle. did you bulk age for any length of time-3 months?

I see three possible scenarios.
- wasn't properly degassed (residual CO2)
- residual sugar being fermented (didn't go dry, no sorbate)
- mlf in the bottle (SO2 levels below 50)

I did sweeten the must with sugar to bring the potential alcohol to 15. the hydrometer was 0 Before I bottled it Added Meta after fermentation. I am thinking of putting the wine back in a carboy and let it sit for 3 month. Just don't want to make vinegar or pick up a bacteria.

I did sweeten the must with sugar to bring the potential alcohol to 15. the hydrometer was 0 Before I bottled it Added Meta after fermentation. I am thinking of putting the wine back in a carboy and let it sit for 3 month. Just don't want to make vinegar or pick up a bacteria.

See there, you solved your own problem. On the hydrometer, 0 BRIX, 0% Alcohol, and 1.000 on the specific gravity scale, all are at the exact same place, where your wine finished.

Problem is, that's not dry, there is still residual sugar at that reading, and your SG should go down to .990 or a smidge higher to be considered dry. You most likely experienced a little renewed fermentation after bottling.

Latest posts

Back