CO2 / Argon / Nitrogen when racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken914

Reaction score
Because I'm somewhere that I cannot tinker with my wine (probably better for what's bulk aging right now :p ), I've been reading.

I've come across references to loading a carboy with CO2 (or other gas) prior to racking, or inserting a blanket on top of wine during aging... all to reduce possible oxidation.

What does the collective think of this strategy? Is it effective or beyond the point of diminishing returns?

Because I'm somewhere that I cannot tinker with my wine (probably better for what's bulk aging right now :p ), I've been reading.

I've come across references to loading a carboy with CO2 (or other gas) prior to racking, or inserting a blanket on top of wine during aging... all to reduce possible oxidation.

What does the collective think of this strategy? Is it effective or beyond the point of diminishing returns?

Good idea, will help some but is not likely to make a huge difference.

I'm thinking of spraing carboys with a soda bottle that takes CO2 cartridges before racking.

You wouldn't happen to be Abe Froman, the Sausage King of Chicago, would you?

:)

Latest posts

Back