Co-inoculation and subsequent racking question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
Got my usual 110# of OVZ this year and changed some things up. In the past I've done MLF sequentially: AF, press, let things settle for a couple of days, rack, then inoculate with the MLB. This year I elected to co-inoculate. Additionally I did an extended maceration. Today I pressed, got 5+ gal of free run and another 2.5 gal of pressed wine. But there is a fair amount of sludge settling at the bottom of these carboys and I'm thinking I'd like to get the wine off of the sludge pretty soon.

So the question: Is there any risk to the MLF or slowing of the MLF if I let this settle a couple of days and rack off of the sludge?

Yes, 24-48 hours press rack off the gross lees. Fine lees after is fine. MLF will complete.

I have heard about bacteria being buried and lost in the lees (maybe the Morewine manual), under some circumstances maybe, but I don't think that is the normal case. Bacteria are some of the smallest particles in wine, much smaller than yeast, and therefore will remain suspended long after the yeast settle.

I just pressed out some fully fermented frozen pinot noir buckets today - maybe used a bit too much Lallzyme and they were sludgy as well. Had co-inoculated with the White Labs liquid MLF bacteria three days ago according to their recommendation to inoculate at about 5 Brix. I plan of doing same as you are suggesting, getting the wine off the gross lees tomorrow. I have both a full and a 1/2 full 1 gallon carboy in addition to two three gallon carboys, not topping up the 1/2 full one today, I figure given how much advice there is to splash and not worry too much about oxygen at the first racking, I can let it be overnight and use that 1/2 gallon to make up for the first racking losses ... and hopefully end up with 7 gallons, on fine lees, primed to continue or start MLF. [If anybody thinks that is a bad idea - please comment] The wine looks quite still after pressing, which might be because it was done out on the deck at 45 degrees or so, and probably cooled down a bit. Now back in a 75 degree space. Then once or bi-weekly battonage on the fine lees through MLF? When making burgundy, throw in some burgundian!

I use the same schedule used when I did sequential. Have only done co-inoculation a handful of times, but they've all worked so far (knock on wood).

Perfect, thanks everyone - it's settled nicely, will probably rack tomorrow and let it finish up.

Back