Co-inoculation and subsequent racking question

Discussion in 'Wine Making from Grapes' started by Stressbaby, Nov 10, 2018 at 3:25 PM.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Nov 10, 2018 at 3:25 PM #1

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Just a Member

Got my usual 110# of OVZ this year and changed some things up. In the past I've done MLF sequentially: AF, press, let things settle for a couple of days, rack, then inoculate with the MLB. This year I elected to co-inoculate. Additionally I did an extended maceration. Today I pressed, got 5+ gal of free run and another 2.5 gal of pressed wine. But there is a fair amount of sludge settling at the bottom of these carboys and I'm thinking I'd like to get the wine off of the sludge pretty soon.

So the question: Is there any risk to the MLF or slowing of the MLF if I let this settle a couple of days and rack off of the sludge?

2. Nov 10, 2018 at 3:36 PM #2

NorCal

NorCal

NorCal

Super Moderator Super Moderator

I’ve often wondered the same and don’t know the answer, but have always opted to rack. The wines have gone on to complete mlf.

Stressbaby likes this.
  3. Nov 10, 2018 at 3:54 PM #3

pgentile

pgentile

pgentile

Still learning

Yes, 24-48 hours press rack off the gross lees. Fine lees after is fine. MLF will complete.

Stressbaby likes this.
  4. Nov 10, 2018 at 7:22 PM #4

stickman

stickman

stickman

Veteran Winemaker

I have heard about bacteria being buried and lost in the lees (maybe the Morewine manual), under some circumstances maybe, but I don't think that is the normal case. Bacteria are some of the smallest particles in wine, much smaller than yeast, and therefore will remain suspended long after the yeast settle.

Stressbaby likes this.
  5. Nov 10, 2018 at 8:47 PM #5

Ajmassa5983

Ajmassa5983

Ajmassa5983

Just a Guy

Same racking schedule as sequential and have not had an issue yet with MLF

Stressbaby likes this.
  6. Nov 10, 2018 at 9:13 PM #6

Countrygent

Countrygent

Countrygent

Junior

I just pressed out some fully fermented frozen pinot noir buckets today - maybe used a bit too much Lallzyme and they were sludgy as well. Had co-inoculated with the White Labs liquid MLF bacteria three days ago according to their recommendation to inoculate at about 5 Brix. I plan of doing same as you are suggesting, getting the wine off the gross lees tomorrow. I have both a full and a 1/2 full 1 gallon carboy in addition to two three gallon carboys, not topping up the 1/2 full one today, I figure given how much advice there is to splash and not worry too much about oxygen at the first racking, I can let it be overnight and use that 1/2 gallon to make up for the first racking losses ... and hopefully end up with 7 gallons, on fine lees, primed to continue or start MLF. [If anybody thinks that is a bad idea - please comment] The wine looks quite still after pressing, which might be because it was done out on the deck at 45 degrees or so, and probably cooled down a bit. Now back in a 75 degree space. Then once or bi-weekly battonage on the fine lees through MLF? When making burgundy, throw in some burgundian!

7. Nov 10, 2018 at 9:32 PM #7

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

I use the same schedule used when I did sequential. Have only done co-inoculation a handful of times, but they've all worked so far (knock on wood).

Stressbaby likes this.
  8. Nov 11, 2018 at 12:07 AM #8

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Just a Member

Perfect, thanks everyone - it's settled nicely, will probably rack tomorrow and let it finish up.