Co-Fermenting Malbec and Petit Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. Label Peelers have a few lugs (36lb crates of grapes) on clearance right now (local pickup only), and I am thinking of being rash and without much forethought getting a lug of California Malbec and a lug of California Petit Syrah and co-fermenting them. The other option being 2 lugs of Cabernet Sauv and 1 lug of Petit Verdot.

Couple of questions:
1) Since these grapes are no longer 'fresh', has anyone experienced issues with creating wine from 'older' grapes. I suspect the sugar content will be high...not sure about TA. I also suspect some natural yeast to be on them.
2) Has anyone blended any of these combinations? Any recommendations? All LP has left are Reds...Cab/Malbec/Syrah/Verdot/Grenache
3) I was going to go 1 lug of each...but now thinking to make a full 6 gallons (@6 gallons) with 3 lugs

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated!

Get 3 lugs. Having less than a carboy will be extra effort to keep things in the right jugs, topping up, etc. Plus the wine will turn out great and you'll kick yourself for not having more!

There WILL be yeast on the skins. While some folks go with a wild ferment, this puts you at the mercy of whichever strain(s) prove dominant. It's lower risk to go with commercial yeast.

If the brix is high, you probably want to dilute with acidulated water. My 2019 Merlot & Zinfandel are both hot, 15.7% ABV, and I wish I had diluted the must a bit. If the TA is low, you can up the acid at this time.

I don't believe you can go wrong with blending the grapes listed. If it were me, I'd go with one of these:

2 Grenache, 1 Syrah or 1 Petit Verdot
2 Syrah, 1 Grenache
2 Cabernet Sauvignon, 1 Malbec, Syrah, Petit Verdot, or Grenache

What do you want? Robust, medium body, etc.?

Get 3 lugs. Having less than a carboy will be extra effort to keep things in the right jugs, topping up, etc. Plus the wine will turn out great and you'll kick yourself for not having more!

There WILL be yeast on the skins. While some folks go with a wild ferment, this puts you at the mercy of whichever strain(s) prove dominant. It's lower risk to go with commercial yeast.

If the brix is high, you probably want to dilute with acidulated water. My 2019 Merlot & Zinfandel are both hot, 15.7% ABV, and I wish I had diluted the must a bit. If the TA is low, you can up the acid at this time.

I don't believe you can go wrong with blending the grapes listed. If it were me, I'd go with one of these:

2 Grenache, 1 Syrah or 1 Petit Verdot
2 Syrah, 1 Grenache
2 Cabernet Sauvignon, 1 Malbec, Syrah, Petit Verdot, or Grenache

What do you want? Robust, medium body, etc.?
Thanks for your thoughts, Bryan. My preference is bold and dark. I have a Nebbiolo from juice aging, a Winexpert Super Tuscan in Secondary/fining and a straight Malbec aging. I do like the Malbec. Straight Cabernets are fine, but not my preference, I like a blend with them.

I did consider the Grenache and Syrah. That is very compelling and probably sounds the best. Since I have a Malbec on the way, this may be the best choice.
I do like your thought on the Cab and Verdot or Syrah

I agree with you on NOT utilizing the wild yeast. I'll be doing a cold maturation (since it is cool enough outside, except tomorrow), using Potassium Metabisulfite/yeast energizer (LD Carlson don't have any Ferm k), and likely a RC-212 yeast.

IMHO: I would scrap the malbec and simply go with the petit syrah. Petit syrah makes a wonder wine all on its own. I can not tell you how many medals i have won with just a straight petit syrah.

Back