Cloudy wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottvince80

Junior
Reaction score
Hi
I have a Niebiolo in a glass carboy, approximately been 3 months aging but is very cloudy the one at the top of the picture .
Below is a chateau which is 1 month bulk aging and clear already
Any help please 20210421_125312.jpg

Do you mean you purchased a 3rd party grape skin pack? Yeah, that could affect the wine, and is the most likely source.

Grape wines don't normally have pectin problems, but adding a dose of pectic enzyme will not hurt the wine. Since we don't know for sure how the grape pack was processed, that could be it. Add the enzyme and wait a week.

Another dose of kieselsol/chitosan may be warranted, especially if the wine does not clear from the enzyme. I have used bentonite on post-fermentation reds in the past, but am not doing it now.

Do you mean you purchased a 3rd party grape skin pack? Yeah, that could affect the wine, and is the most likely source.

Grape wines don't normally have pectin problems, but adding a dose of pectic enzyme will not hurt the wine. Since we don't know for sure how the grape pack was processed, that could be it. Add the enzyme and wait a week.

Another dose of kieselsol/chitosan may be warranted, especially if the wine does not clear from the enzyme. I have used bentonite on post-fermentation reds in the past, but am not doing it now.
Thanks great help
The grape pack was the same company just an extra addition, I've used it before and with the clear one next to it so something has gone off . I will add the enzyme and see what happens

Thanks again

Back