Cloudy stringy film on surface

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried to use some filters on the pictures so it's able to be seen. And I didn't even notice it right away. But there was a very faint cloudiness on the surface with tails maybe 1/4" down like strings. Cirrus clouds come to mind.
Noticed when racking kit Rosè after clearing (pre-topping up). And so2 levels were right on point as well. Not sure what his was/is but doesn't seem to be re-forming after racking. ImageUploadedByWine Making1491842436.013932.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1491842449.964586.jpg. With the photo filters your able to faintly see what I'm talking about. Could not find anything anywhere that looked or sounded like the same thing to troubleshoot.

I haven't seen this in wine before (im a newbie), but it was something that I saw in the lab working as a microbiologist. It could be some residual yeast in suspension that isn't settling. I saw a few test tubes that looked like that after they say in the fridge for a while (for both yeast and bacterial cultures). Did it appear as soon as you started clearing or did it come later? And how does the wine taste?

I didn't notice until a week after cleared, though I also wasn't checking often either. In all the wine bacteria pics I looked up, there was nothing I found resembling this. Concern level is still low. I figured someone out there might know exactly what it is.
Tastes and smells good. I'm gonna keep my eye on it for now and hope it doesn't redevelop.

Think it is just small clumps of lees that stick to the sides of the carboy. As the wine level goes down they let go and give you the little "clouds". Sometimes if the lees are sticking a bit, you can give the carboy a twist back and forth a couple of times and the clumps will fall to the bottom. Arne.

Think it is just small clumps of lees that stick to the sides of the carboy. As the wine level goes down they let go and give you the little "clouds". Sometimes if the lees are sticking a bit, you can give the carboy a twist back and forth a couple of times and the clumps will fall to the bottom. Arne.

Thank you kindly. I used isinglass liquid clearing agent for the first time and thought it might have been a byproduct of that.

I'm a kombucha maker and this looks just like the start of a SCOBY to me. IOW a colony of yeast and bacteria. Which, if it is, makes me think that vinegar would be the next step.

That's just speaking from a kombucha POV. I'm not enough of a wine expert yet to know how high alcohol would affect the process.

The wine is aging nicely and it is tasting better better. It may have had to do with the isinglass. Or the amount of gross lees I accidentally transferred. It wasnt just on the sides though it was the entire surface and had this stringy mucousy transparent cloudy build up
No offense but I really hope that you're wrong . Hoping to enjoy this Rosè before the end of the summer

Latest posts

Back