Cloudy Pinot Grigio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update

I ended up adding PE and let it sit at 70°. I checked a few weeks ago and it has cleared nicely. It tastes awesome! It was suggested I can bottle it without a long time of bulk aging so, I bottles it the other day.

This is my fist white wine juice bucket I have done. I am really impressed in how it tastes for such a young wine. I will tell you this. There will be lots more in the future.

RR

There is some really bad advice in this topic and I cannot let you be led astray.

First, this is a Pinot Gris made from wine grapes. You do not have a pectin haze. That is a non-grape problem.

Second, the temperature you store the wine at will not affect cloudiness.

Third, many many many commercial wineries, including mine, have already released their 2013 white wines.

Fourth, filtering, if done properly will not only not harm the wine but will help clear it sooner therefore prevent the risk of oxidation that can result from extending time outside the bottle.

Fifth, pumping with a mechanical pump is extremely common. Unless your pump has an air leak on the suction side and is introducing O2 then pumping is just fine.

My advice:

1st, make damn sure your SO2 levels are at the appropriate level for your pH. A word of caution if your pH is very low. A low pH shifts the sulfite equilibrium towards the molecular form which is what protects your wine but is also what stinks if you have too much. Pinot Gris' tend to have high acid and low pH and it is easy to 'bump the so2 a bit' and push it into a stinky wine.

2nd, Bentonite is used for two purposes and can strip flavors or aromas if over added. I never add bentonite for clearing, that is what filters are for. I do add bentonite at the lowest level possible to prevent heat instability which is also known as protein instability. I detailed this process ad nauseam on another forum so I will not do that here. Send me a pm if you would like more information.

3rd, Pinot Gris is high in acid and benefits greatly from cold stabilization which forces the crystallization of tartaric acid. This will happen when you refrigerate or ice the bottled wine before serving so you might as well do it in your bulk container before bottling. I like to add bentonite then cold stabilize. This creates a nice crust of tartaric crystals on top of the bentonite which helps with that first racking.

4th, I find some years my Pinot Gris clears real fast on it's own and some years it never clears. I filter. I filter aggressively and I filter with a mechanical pump. I filter with a 5 micron filter directly off the bentonite then progressively through a 1.5 micron, 0.45 micron nominal pad a couple days before bottling and, finally, on bottling day, through a 0.45 absolute cartridge element.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back