Cloudy carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a whole variety of carboys some I purchased new, some are used and some date back to 1965. I believe the older ones were my dads. The photos enclosed are from a Mexican made carboy with Carisa stamped on the bottom. No date but I’m guessing it’s not that old and I probably acquired this one used. I have used it over the years with no adverse affects on the wine but I’m wondering if anyone can identify the cloudy patches on the inside. Not the best pictures. My apologies. Maybe some of you have come across this issue. I even soaked the inside with straight bleach laying on its side turning it daily for two weeks. Rinsed thoroughly and did the same with a strong solution of PBW. And yet the clouds remain. Any ideas what this might be? The third photo is probably the best representation.

Attachments

• F570495C-0777-4C04-8FE1-2048A0952D4D.jpeg
    F570495C-0777-4C04-8FE1-2048A0952D4D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • F6E0EACD-EC43-4DCE-809C-7D83D13ECDE1.jpeg
    F6E0EACD-EC43-4DCE-809C-7D83D13ECDE1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 5A00940F-EA0D-469F-BB42-2FB3B07466C7.jpeg
    5A00940F-EA0D-469F-BB42-2FB3B07466C7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Could be etched, but that would mean it was used for storage of a solution that is not supposed to be stored in glass.

Try washing it with something acidic (vinegar) and/or basic (baking soda solution). You could also try everclear.

Could be etched, but that would mean it was used for storage of a solution that is not supposed to be stored in glass.

Try washing it with something acidic (vinegar) and/or basic (baking soda solution). You could also try everclear.
Thanks for that Mat. Just found this and it describes what I see perfectly.

Etching occurs when the causes of colored film are allowed to continue. Signs of this condition are a cloudy appearance that cannot be removed by washing with vinegar (acid), bleach or water. The cloudiness can be uniform over the surface of the glass or it can be spotty.

Years ago I dug up old bottles from a very old landfill and most had a cloudy haze. I never found one cleaner that worked all the time. I imagine it has something to do with what caused the haze. I never had much luck with vinegar but I've had luck with Polident tablets, CLR, diluted muriatic acid, tub and tile cleaner and even Barkeeper's Friend and letting the bottle soak. I must admit, though, I would be hesitant to use some of those for a carboy I intended to use.

Years ago I dug up old bottles from a very old landfill and most had a cloudy haze. I never found one cleaner that worked all the time. I imagine it has something to do with what caused the haze. I never had much luck with vinegar but I've had luck with Polident tablets, CLR, diluted muriatic acid, tub and tile cleaner and even Barkeeper's Friend and letting the bottle soak. I must admit, though, I would be hesitant to use some of those for a carboy I intended to use.
Yeah. No problems so far. I think I will just leave it be and continue to use it.

Latest posts

Back