Climate 2050

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemanden

Reaction score
Climate change
Château La Tour Carnet in Bordeaux artificially exposes a vineyard to higher temperatures to simulate the conditions of the 2050 vintage. To do this, heat cables normally used in aeroplanes are used to warm the vines. The higher temperature in the juice stream accelerates the growth of the vines. Thus, according to the calculations, the harvest will start 15 days to three weeks earlier than today, which corresponds to the models for the middle of the century.
Already in 2013, an experimental vineyard was planted on La Tour Carnet with 84 different grape varieties, which are vinified separately. Julien Lecourt, plant scientist and head of the research and development department at Maison Bernard Magrez said that so far he has identified 21 varieties that could be of interest. Among them are Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot as well as Carménère, Tempranillo and Touriga Nacional.

Here, Lecourt evaluates disease tolerance, yield, aromaticity as well as acid profile and sugar accumulation of the varieties. "We have the ambition to make a Grand Cru-style wine from every single variety we mine. With some it is impossible because they will never ripen. But the ones that aren't suitable now, we might use in 20 or 50 years because conditions change drastically." Owner Bernard Magrez, who owns Château Pape Clément among others, is also funding a PhD position at the University of Bordeaux to study how vineyards adapt to climate change.

We've heard the claim that 97% of the world's scientists think man is affecting the climate. Well...

History lesson -

In 2009 the University of Illinois sent a questionnaire to 10,000+ scientists and 3146 responded. There were two question:
Do you agree that global temperatures have generally increased since the pre-1800's?
Do you think that human activity is a significant contributing factor?

Of the 3146, 77 described themselves as climate experts and 75 answered yes to question #2. 75/77=97%

We've heard the claim that 97% of the world's scientists think man is affecting the climate. Well...

History lesson -

In 2009 the University of Illinois sent a questionnaire to 10,000+ scientists and 3146 responded. There were two question:
Do you agree that global temperatures have generally increased since the pre-1800's?
Do you think that human activity is a significant contributing factor?

Of the 3146, 77 described themselves as climate experts and 75 answered yes to question #2. 75/77=97%
Yep my point exactly I do not think climate change is happening even remotely close to the doom and gloom speeches we keep getting. Matter of fact even if it warmed where I live it would not increase in temp from now till 2100 at all even with so called doom and gloom predictions being accurate so way I look at it is even if climate change predictions were accurate I’m going to be dead by time it matters so it’s not my problem.

so way I look at it is even if climate change predictions were accurate I’m going to be dead by time it matters so it’s not my problem.
A 2022 perspective approximately 78% of the calories humans consumed came from 17 species like wheat, rice, cow, chicken.

I occasionally post that wine is a preservation system with pH being a major regulator in if yeast or bacteria or mold can grow. I will also post data on what the shift in pH is with CO2 in a sparkling wine or cider. The regulation ,,, ie kill rules also apply to the 17 major crops humans depend on for calories. In 2022 we were pretty well balanced, such that a war In Ukraine produced a shift in my cost of raw feedstocks.

My concern is that my grandkids or great great grandkids will need to find new sources of food. Anyone up for a bug or larvae sandwich?

Agreed, ,,, I am go to be dead before pH shifts
enough that our 17 species can’t economically be farmed.

Last edited:
* a neat bit of technology that started monitoring air quality this year. First Maps from Space-based Pollution Monitoring Spectrometer
( I like toys)
* AI relative to sweet corn; A U of I pHd student modeling industry yield data over 30 years found that if night time temp is above 16C the crop yield goes down. The theory is that increased moisture stress at night makes the plant less efficient. (and that there are genes in the corn genetics bank so we can try to make Genetically modified corn to fix it)
* Canada is a major wheat exporter, their 2023 yield is reduced due to hot/ dry weather so that wheat containing products will cost more in 2024. The price is also being pushed up because Russia is blockading Ukrainian wheat (weather has always influenced crop yield, extremes are bad).

Control and money. We are at the tail end of the last ice age, so yes the planet is warming, but not because of farting cows, carbon, oil, etc. The sun & our oceans are what control the temps. CO2 was around 2000ppm in the Jurassic era. Last ice age CO2 was around 180ppm, today it's 400ppm, still a long ways from the Jurassic level. To get the CO2 back down to 180ppm would require refreezing the planet, not exactly a good solution to anything. So as the planet warms the oceans release more CO2, just like warm champagne gives off CO2 quicker than cold champagne. More CO2 is good for plants, most commercial greenhouses release CO2 to encourage fast growth.

OSHA permitted CO2 levels. So why are we all in a panic from 400ppm?

ESHG-Health-02.00 FSIS Environmental, Safety and Health Group
Carbon Dioxide Health Hazard Information Sheet
What are the symptoms of different levels of exposure?

5,000 ppm (0.5%) OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL) and ACGIH Threshold Limit Value (TLV) for 8-hour exposure
10,000 ppm (1.0%) Typically no effects, possible drowsiness
15,000 ppm (1.5%) Mild respiratory stimulation for some people
30,000 ppm (3.0%) Moderate respiratory stimulation, increased heart rate and blood pressure, ACGIH TLV-Short Term
40,000 ppm (4.0%) Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health (IDLH)
50,000 ppm (5.0%) Strong respiratory stimulation, dizziness, confusion, headache, shortness of breath
80,000 ppm (8.0%) Dimmed sight, sweating, tremor, unconsciousness, and possible death

Control and money. We are at the tail end of the last ice age, so yes the planet is warming, but not because of farting cows, carbon, oil, etc. The sun & our oceans are what control the temps. CO2 was around 2000ppm in the Jurassic era. Last ice age CO2 was around 180ppm, today it's 400ppm, still a long ways from the Jurassic level. To get the CO2 back down to 180ppm would require refreezing the planet, not exactly a good solution to anything. So as the planet warms the oceans release more CO2, just like warm champagne gives off CO2 quicker than cold champagne. More CO2 is good for plants, most commercial greenhouses release CO2 to encourage fast growth.

Yeah and they are using it to increase fuel costs and buisiness costs and railroad us into electric cars that suck and nobody wants and the big kicker is everytime it’s warm they say sorry you can’t charge your car the power grid might fail.

It’s the biggest joke ever.

There have been many interesting ideas suggested to solve this "crisis". (By "interesting" I mean crazy.) One of my favorite was to remove all CO2 from the atmosphere. Yes, seriously. Sorry, can't remember the source but it wasn't the Babylon Bee.

I read somewhere recently that scientists said the earth had tilted 3 degrees! I have no way of verifying this, but if so, it could be that some places that are already warm, are getting hotter, (not where I live in the UK. ;))
Re what Ratflinger said about farting cows. A huge number of people in the last few years have jumped on this vegetarian / vegan trend. Maybe they're all farting more because of all the silage they're eating. Who knows?:f

Something that puzzles my simple mind. If they don't want to eat meat, why are there imitation meat products in the shops, such as Turkey bacon, this is not Chicken Breasts, meatless Burgers etc?

Another thing I find strange, is that lots of the people who have joined the 'No more oil' protests and marches drive CARS, petrol and diesel.

As Ratflinger says 'Control and Money. TV.jpeg

I read somewhere recently that scientists said the earth had tilted 3 degrees! I have no way of verifying this, but if so, it could be that some places that are already warm, are getting hotter, (not where I live in the UK. ;))
Re what Ratflinger said about farting cows. A huge number of people in the last few years have jumped on this vegetarian / vegan trend. Maybe they're all farting more because of all the silage they're eating. Who knows?:f

Something that puzzles my simple mind. If they don't want to eat meat, why are there imitation meat products in the shops, such as Turkey bacon, this is not Chicken Breasts, meatless Burgers etc?

Another thing I find strange, is that lots of the people who have joined the 'No more oil' protests and marches drive CARS, petrol and diesel.

As Ratflinger says 'Control and Money. View attachment 105201
It’s being done as we speak

Latest posts

Back