Clearing.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is that there is CO2 suspended in your wine and you either have to wait for it to get out or try to force it out by degassing. Wine whip, racking with vacuum, splash racking, stirring vigorously with a long spoon are all ways to try to force it out.

Besides degassing, I have found that a dose of pectic enzyme helps clear it. I tried skipping the pectic enzyme with my latest batch, but I got impatient after using kieselsol and chitosan and waiting a few days. (I was on a time schedule because I wanted to get it bottled to bring on vacation, which starts Friday!) Then I added the pectic enzyme (I think it was 1/2 tsp/gallon) and it cleared up quite quickly after that.

This is a picture on bottling day.
IMG_5385.JPEG

I realized on bottling day that I had 1.5 liters that I hadn't sweetened, so I combined that with the leftovers (lees and all) in the carboys from bottling day, sweetened it, and let it sit. It's in a 13 cup jug so I expect to get at least 2 - 3 more bottles. This is a picture after it sat for a few days:
image0.jpeg

Besides degassing, I have found that a dose of pectic enzyme helps clear it. I tried skipping the pectic enzyme with my latest batch, but I got impatient after using kieselsol and chitosan and waiting a few days. (I was on a time schedule because I wanted to get it bottled to bring on vacation, which starts Friday!) Then I added the pectic enzyme (I think it was 1/2 tsp/gallon) and it cleared up quite quickly after that.

This is a picture on bottling day.
View attachment 85989

I realized on bottling day that I had 1.5 liters that I hadn't sweetened, so I combined that with the leftovers (lees and all) in the carboys from bottling day, sweetened it, and let it sit. It's in a 13 cup jug so I expect to get at least 2 - 3 more bottles. This is a picture after it sat for a few days:
View attachment 85990
So add the enzyme now or i should do it in the beginning next time?

For Skeeter Pee, I'd do it now. I don't add it in the beginning for mine. I have thought about it but keep convincing myself lemon juice doesn't need it, then adding it when it won't clear. 😂

I suspect it may have to do with the addition of most of the lemon juice after fermentation is complete, which is the way I do it.

For Skeeter Pee, I'd do it now. I don't add it in the beginning for mine. I have thought about it but keep convincing myself lemon juice doesn't need it, then adding it when it won't clear. 😂

I suspect it may have to do with the addition of most of the lemon juice after fermentation is complete, which is the way I do it.
This is my first batch. I just followed the recipe. I used sparkolloid. Ill dose it with pectic enzyme tomorrow or Friday. I'm not in any rush. Thanks

Latest posts

Back