Clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobF

Reaction score
I made 1 gal of jalapeno several months ago. It had been racked a couple of times, but it was refusing to clear beyond a certain point.

A fellow winemaker was over a few weeks ago. I used a glass thief to get a small sample for him. I put the thief maybe 1-1/2" - 2" into the wine.

A couple of days later I noticed that it had dropped a whole bunch of sediment and proceeded to finish clearing!

I don't know if this was a coincidence or not. I'm going to try slightly stirring the top inch or so in my next stubborn batches to see what happens.

Anybody else notice anything like this? I would much prefer being able to do this than to do a full racking on small batches.

I haven't noticed anything like you're describing but I'll comment on jalapeno not clearing... I started a batch in Sept and it's still cloudy. So far I've been hoping that time and patience will work but if I want to use it for a marinade while BBQing this summer, I may have to add something to help it out.

you know, it might have been pressurized and didn't allow for the C02 to get out. maybe that was suspending the haze? IDK, but jalapeno can take a little bit to clear. i love the stuff. i have allergy problems and it clears them :) that and i like hot stuff.

Latest posts

Back