Clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TikiWine

Reaction score
How can you tell if the clearing us complete and ready to bottle. Especially with a red wine?

Its probably just young wine your tasting let it sit about a year and it will definitely improve I let my reds bulk age a year before bottling and sometimes another year before drinking.....it gets easier to do as you build up a pipeline.

Ok I forgot to add kmeta after the clearing, can I let it stay in the bottle that long?

I use a flashlight in the opposite side of the carboy and watch. If the light is visible in the other side, it is typically clear.

So if a kit recipe says to let it clear for 10 days, there’s no issue letting it sit for months until I get around to bottling it? I don’t see why it would hurt, but I thought I would ask.

So if a kit recipe says to let it clear for 10 days, there’s no issue letting it sit for months until I get around to bottling it? I don’t see why it would hurt, but I thought I would ask.

Gill - if you’re at that point in the directions where it says, “Wait X days, then bottle,” yes. You can let it sit for a few months (or years) instead. Again, I’d taste it after the three months. If it’s ready, rack and dose to a clean carboy, then bottle. If not, rack, dose and wait three more months.

Gill - if you’re at that point in the directions where it says, “Wait X days, then bottle,” yes. You can let it sit for a few months (or years) instead. Again, I’d taste it after the three months. If it’s ready, rack and dose to a clean carboy, then bottle. If not, rack, dose and wait three more months.

Awesome! Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it. It’s what what I thought, but didn’t have any clarification. What you say makes sense.

Latest posts

Back