clearing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcmaccu

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making a 6 gallon batch of California Connioseur Cabernet Sauvignon for my first batch ever. I'm through secondary fermentation and have added the K-meta that came with the kit. I have a question about the clarity though. I cannot see any light through my wine at all when shining a flashlight through it. i have racked it twice so far. I guess i am just wondering if this is normal prior to adding the K-sorbate and the fining agent? tastes good so far. still smelled a little "yeasty" to me a couple weeks ago but that is going away. Is that normal as well? thank you all in advance for your help.

-Mac

Welcome ! :b
Cab/Sauv is a dark red. You may not be able to see anything. Continue to follow the kit directions and you should be fine.
Patience

Hello and welcome.

I just guess at my kit reds too.. the old test was to put a bit in a wineglass after you've done all your finings etc and hold it up to the light to check clarity.. it's easier than trying to see through the carboy...

Allie

Mac:

I made a lot of Calif Conn kits (including the Cab Sauv) when I ran a Ferment on Premise. Never had any problem with the kits clearing. I kept the wine warm (about 23C) and made sure to degas it well.

Steve

Latest posts

Back