Quantcast

clearing?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

dcmaccu

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making a 6 gallon batch of California Connioseur Cabernet Sauvignon for my first batch ever. I'm through secondary fermentation and have added the K-meta that came with the kit. I have a question about the clarity though. I cannot see any light through my wine at all when shining a flashlight through it. i have racked it twice so far. I guess i am just wondering if this is normal prior to adding the K-sorbate and the fining agent? tastes good so far. still smelled a little "yeasty" to me a couple weeks ago but that is going away. Is that normal as well? thank you all in advance for your help.

-Mac

Tom

Reaction score
Welcome ! :b
Cab/Sauv is a dark red. You may not be able to see anything. Continue to follow the kit directions and you should be fine.
Patience

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I just guess at my kit reds too.. the old test was to put a bit in a wineglass after you've done all your finings etc and hold it up to the light to check clarity.. it's easier than trying to see through the carboy...

Allie

cpfan

Reaction score
Mac:

I made a lot of Calif Conn kits (including the Cab Sauv) when I ran a Ferment on Premise. Never had any problem with the kits clearing. I kept the wine warm (about 23C) and made sure to degas it well.

Steve