Clearing wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lox

Junior
Reaction score
I have really a hard time clearing prune wine .
I have tried Bentonite - no sediment
I have tried Super Kleer CK - no sediment either .
Looks like a muddy water .

Any thoughts ?

Interesting, I thought prunes tended to clear things out in short order. [cymbal crash]

Did you use pectic enzyme? How about that friend to all winemakers, Father Time? How much of it has elapsed?

Fermentation stopped 7 weeks ago .
Did your peach clear after 3 months without any finning agents ?
I am just amazed bentonite and supekleer did nothing to my prune while bentonite was all I was using so far on other wines and it worked like magic within a week every time .
I only bought Superkleer hoping it will work on the prune after bentonite failed .
But it did not work either .

In the charts I just looked up, plums are listed as high in pectin. Is pectic enzyme effective after fermentation?
This answers that question.
https://blog.homebrewing.org/when-t... is much more,breaking down the pectin cells.
Relevant quote: "Pectic enzyme is much more effective during a fermentation than after a fermentation. Your only hope is to add another full dose of pectic enzyme directly to the wine and give it time (sometimes months) to work on breaking down the pectin cells."

I have a pumpkin wine that is 8 or 9 months past fermentation and has not cleared. I've tried everything including peptic enzyme (none at fermentation). I don't think it will clear so either dumped or made into cooking wine or a cloudy mulled pumpkin wine.

Fermentation stopped 7 weeks ago .
Did your peach clear after 3 months without any finning agents ?
I am just amazed bentonite and supekleer did nothing to my prune while bentonite was all I was using so far on other wines and it worked like magic within a week every time .
I only bought Superkleer hoping it will work on the prune after bentonite failed .
But it did not work either .
I did not use any finning agents. The wine was cloudy for the first 2 months and then just cleared on its own. It was nice that grape harvest started so I didn't pay much attention to the peach and one day it was just clear.
Next I will filter .5 micron pads, add sorbate and backsweeten to about 1.5%, wait a week to make sure there is no activity, then bottle.

While you can't see in the photo, I can see the bottom - like looking in lake Tahoe :)
peach final.jpg

Latest posts

Back