Clearing wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Lox

Junior
Reaction score
I have really a hard time clearing prune wine .
I have tried Bentonite - no sediment
I have tried Super Kleer CK - no sediment either .
Looks like a muddy water .

Any thoughts ?

Flufnagel

Reaction score
Interesting, I thought prunes tended to clear things out in short order. [cymbal crash]

Did you use pectic enzyme? How about that friend to all winemakers, Father Time? How much of it has elapsed?

Lox

Junior
Reaction score
Fermentation stopped 7 weeks ago .
Did your peach clear after 3 months without any finning agents ?
I am just amazed bentonite and supekleer did nothing to my prune while bentonite was all I was using so far on other wines and it worked like magic within a week every time .
I only bought Superkleer hoping it will work on the prune after bentonite failed .
But it did not work either .

QuiQuog

Reaction score
In the charts I just looked up, plums are listed as high in pectin. Is pectic enzyme effective after fermentation?

QuiQuog

Reaction score
In the charts I just looked up, plums are listed as high in pectin. Is pectic enzyme effective after fermentation?
This answers that question.

Relevant quote: "Pectic enzyme is much more effective during a fermentation than after a fermentation. Your only hope is to add another full dose of pectic enzyme directly to the wine and give it time (sometimes months) to work on breaking down the pectin cells."

VinesnBines

Reaction score
I have a pumpkin wine that is 8 or 9 months past fermentation and has not cleared. I've tried everything including peptic enzyme (none at fermentation). I don't think it will clear so either dumped or made into cooking wine or a cloudy mulled pumpkin wine.

Reaction score
Fermentation stopped 7 weeks ago .
Did your peach clear after 3 months without any finning agents ?
I am just amazed bentonite and supekleer did nothing to my prune while bentonite was all I was using so far on other wines and it worked like magic within a week every time .
I only bought Superkleer hoping it will work on the prune after bentonite failed .
But it did not work either .
I did not use any finning agents. The wine was cloudy for the first 2 months and then just cleared on its own. It was nice that grape harvest started so I didn't pay much attention to the peach and one day it was just clear.
Next I will filter .5 micron pads, add sorbate and backsweeten to about 1.5%, wait a week to make sure there is no activity, then bottle.

While you can't see in the photo, I can see the bottom - like looking in lake Tahoe :)
peach final.jpg

Latest posts