Clearing wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really.... All of you guys and gals are great people. It brings home the fact that you/we, as a group are upstanding people. Trying to share. Passing on our information, experiences and methods as we see them. Hopefully helping a individual new and struggling to learn.
Happy holidays to all of you.

Beano
The very same to you Beano..........................................DizzyIzzy

I usealy use one pouch for 6 gallons. And the bentonite clay go by the directions on the package. 4 tsp mixed with 1 1/3 cup of warm water. For every 5 gallons.
Again, how much is in one pouch? Thankyou for such a speedy response. Merry Christmas to you and yours, and welcome to the forum.....................DizzyIzzy

Again, how much is in one pouch?
I purchase bentonite in bulk, typically 8 oz. The recommended dose on the package is 1 to 2 tablespoons per gallon of wine.

Years ago I was told 1 to 2 teaspoons per gallon, and that's what I have used with good success. Literature says that bentonite strips color, which I've not experienced -- but I'm also using 1/3 the "recommended" amount, which probably explains my results.

Next time I buy a kit, I'm going to measure the bentonite packet, as I don't believe there is 6 Tbsp in there.

Hello friends,
I am an amateur homemade wine maker from India. I am making only fruit wines particularly litchi, Blueberry, Raspberry & Blackberry wines. I am always finding it difficult in clearing the wine. can anybody suggest best method?

I am an amateur homemade wine maker from India. I am making only fruit wines particularly litchi, Blueberry, Raspberry & Blackberry wines. I am always finding it difficult in clearing the wine. can anybody suggest best method?
Welcome to WMT!

A common problem with fruit (non-grape) wines is pectin. Pectin is great when you're making jams & jellies, but not when making wine.

The solution is pectic enzyme, which breaks down the pectins. The wine should clear on it's own after that, but if it's stubborn you can use a fining agent.

Hello friends,

If you don't have access to or don't want to use commercial fining products, egg whites work great.

Winemaker81, that was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing. I noticed they didn't mention kieselsol and chitosan. Do you have a notion as to why?

Winemaker81, that was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing. I noticed they didn't mention kieselsol and chitosan. Do you have a notion as to why?
Nope, no idea. I haven't found much detailed information on kieselsol/chitosan.

If anyone spots anything of substance, please post the URL.

I purchase bentonite in bulk, typically 8 oz. The recommended dose on the package is 1 to 2 tablespoons per gallon of wine.

Years ago I was told 1 to 2 teaspoons per gallon, and that's what I have used with good success. Literature says that bentonite strips color, which I've not experienced -- but I'm also using 1/3 the "recommended" amount, which probably explains my results.

Next time I buy a kit, I'm going to measure the bentonite packet, as I don't believe there is 6 Tbsp in there.
Thankyou for the response....................................DizzyIzzy

Latest posts

Back