Clearing Temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sreckner

Junior
Reaction score
We're ready to clear our first "vintage" and are uncertain about the correct temperature. It fermented at 70 degrees; should we clear it at that temp or at cellar temperature, around 58 degrees? I've searched previous threads and haven't found a definitive answer.

Thanks for your help!

I have had a lot of luck with my wines clearing in 48-56 degrees. Upon fining, I place the carboys in my garage..

works quite well....when you think they are done clearing rack the wine to a fresh carboy and let it set for another few weeks before bottling

cooler temps will help yeast drop out, but makes degassing harder/impossible at times.

If you just want to clear use Isinglass or SuperKleer. I would keep it room temp when using. Cooler temps are on for aging if thats what you want to do.

I'll clear mine around the 60~65 degree range except for right now it's around 58!62 degrees. I'll let it go for 6 weeks. All the yeast and sediment will fall and the wine will be extremely clear.

If I get any more after that time it's barely visible on the bottom of the carboy.

When clrearing naturally cooler temps work better, when using a fining agent warmer temps work better, but either way the wine wont clear well until the wine is degassed at least some whether it comes out over time or by you using a tool to degas it, If you degas it it will clear much sooner though unless its one of those stubborn wines that will need a fining agent anyway.

Back