Clearing, Stabilizing, Degassing w/Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11C_Recon

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, I'm making my first batch of wine. An Icewine from Diamanti. I have questions about the instructions. My wine is in the secondary and has fermented to .994, and I am getting ready to rack it again. . First I'll write the instructions.. leaving out the obvious.

..... after all of the fermenting has been complete in the secondary.....
Siphon the wine into a clean carboy.

Add the must from the Smaller bag (came with juice concentrate to backsweeten)

Add Sodium Metabisulfate + Vitamin C contained in sachet 2
Add Sorbate contained in sachet 3
Add Kieselsol contained in sachet 5 and stir a few minutes
Add Chitosan contained in sachet 6 - stir vigorously, moving back and forth. In some cases your carboy may not turn out to be full, you may fill with similar wine.......... {basically just goes on about what you can add to fill it up. }

It says absolutely nothing about degassing??? Any explanation for this?

Also the order of the chemicals added... It seems to be quite different than the stuff I've read on forums and tutorials i've watched on youtube.

Basically my questions is , what is the correct order in which to add chemicals / degass / backsweeten?

I have a "whip" style degasser that hooks up to a drill, is it smart to fill it up all the way before degassing? seems like that's asking for a mess.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post! all help / suggestions welcome... Also could I add cheap brandy to fill it up??

Last edited:
11C_Recon said:
Hello, I'm making my first batch of wine. An Icewine from Diamanti. I have questions about the instructions. My wine is in the secondary and has fermented to .994, and I am getting ready to rack it again. . First I'll write the instructions.. leaving out the obvious.

..... after all of the fermenting has been complete in the secondary.....
Siphon the wine into a clean carboy.

Add the must from the Smaller bag (came with juice concentrate to backsweeten)

Add Sodium Metabisulfate + Vitamin C contained in sachet 2
Add Sorbate contained in sachet 3
Add Kieselsol contained in sachet 5 and stir a few minutes
Add Chitosan contained in sachet 6 - stir vigorously, moving back and forth. In some cases your carboy may not turn out to be full, you may fill with similar wine.......... {basically just goes on about what you can add to fill it up. }

It says absolutely nothing about degassing??? Any explanation for this?

Also the order of the chemicals added... It seems to be quite different than the stuff I've read on forums and tutorials i've watched on youtube.

Basically my questions is , what is the correct order in which to add chemicals / degass / backsweeten?

I have a "whip" style degasser that hooks up to a drill, is it smart to fill it up all the way before degassing? seems like that's asking for a mess.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post! all help / suggestions welcome... Also could I add cheap brandy to fill it up??

I suppose the step where they say "stir vigorously", they are assuming it will adequately degas the wine.

If you have a degassing whip, do this before you add anything.

I usually use wine for topping off. If you need to add brandy, don't add more than a few ounces without trial testing first with the ratio you need to add.

I always degass before adding anything. Very important is the order you put in Kieselsol then Chitosan.
Kieseisol put a negative charge on the particles then Chitosan put a positive charge on the particles.

Wow, thank you guys so much for the help. I'm glad I waited to post before I started. It concerns me that the order of "degassing" and adding ingredients were reversed in the instructions.

i would also add that prior to adding the concentrate to backsweeten, i would add the metabisulphite and sorbate....in reading your packet listing in the instructions, i notice it goes from 3 to 5, skipping 4, therfeore i think there is the implication at least that the "f-pack", as we would call the back flavoring concentrate, would be package 4, hence it would fit into the proper order of : stabilizing, back sweetening, and fining, with the degassing fitting in between steps as part of the vigorous stirring (which in most cases, is not sufficient enough to fully degas)....

Latest posts

Back