Clearing short cut?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsf77

Reaction score
I remember reading something about this on here before. Here’s my thought/question; The nights have been in the low 40s around here. I have some carboys that are 3, 4, and 5 months in the process. If I were to sit one or more of these out at night and then bring them back in 1) would it help/speed up the clearing/settling process. There’s just a fine layer of silt in the bottom of some of them. This is app 6 weeks after the last racking. 2) It will be going from a temperature of 40s to a temperature of 60s. Will this cause any ill side effects?

Now about this time some of you season wine makers are seeing right through this question - I’m wanting it to HURRY UP! (lol) However, I am curious about my thought on setting some outside. Thanks again!

I remember reading something about this on here before. Here’s my thought/question; The nights have been in the low 40s around here. I have some carboys that are 3, 4, and 5 months in the process. If I were to sit one or more of these out at night and then bring them back in 1) would it help/speed up the clearing/settling process. There’s just a fine layer of silt in the bottom of some of them. This is app 6 weeks after the last racking. 2) It will be going from a temperature of 40s to a temperature of 60s. Will this cause any ill side effects?

Now about this time some of you season wine makers are seeing right through this question - I’m wanting it to HURRY UP! (lol) However, I am curious about my thought on setting some outside. Thanks again!
Setting outside might help it clear, but it takes more than just one overnight. And low 40s isn't really cold enough to help much. Think 20s. It really helps to remove any excess tartaric acid more than it helps clearing. The number one ingredient to make good wine, patience, patience, patience.

Setting outside might help it clear, but it takes more than just one overnight. And low 40s isn't really cold enough to help much. Think 20s. It really helps to remove any excess tartaric acid more than it helps clearing. The number one ingredient to make good wine, patience, patience, patience.

Thanks, Yeah “patience” is killing me! I see the carboys everyday so it seems like an eternity. So from 20s to 60s wouldn’t mess up the taste?

Haste makes waste - in wine making that means - wasted effort, wasted $$ and potentially wasted Wine.

While your wine clears start another batch or start another hobby to keep you occupied while it clears.

Latest posts

Back