Clearing short cut?

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

gsf77

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I remember reading something about this on here before. Here’s my thought/question; The nights have been in the low 40s around here. I have some carboys that are 3, 4, and 5 months in the process. If I were to sit one or more of these out at night and then bring them back in 1) would it help/speed up the clearing/settling process. There’s just a fine layer of silt in the bottom of some of them. This is app 6 weeks after the last racking. 2) It will be going from a temperature of 40s to a temperature of 60s. Will this cause any ill side effects?

Now about this time some of you season wine makers are seeing right through this question - I’m wanting it to HURRY UP! (lol) However, I am curious about my thought on setting some outside. Thanks again!

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I remember reading something about this on here before. Here’s my thought/question; The nights have been in the low 40s around here. I have some carboys that are 3, 4, and 5 months in the process. If I were to sit one or more of these out at night and then bring them back in 1) would it help/speed up the clearing/settling process. There’s just a fine layer of silt in the bottom of some of them. This is app 6 weeks after the last racking. 2) It will be going from a temperature of 40s to a temperature of 60s. Will this cause any ill side effects?

Now about this time some of you season wine makers are seeing right through this question - I’m wanting it to HURRY UP! (lol) However, I am curious about my thought on setting some outside. Thanks again!
Setting outside might help it clear, but it takes more than just one overnight. And low 40s isn't really cold enough to help much. Think 20s. It really helps to remove any excess tartaric acid more than it helps clearing. The number one ingredient to make good wine, patience, patience, patience.

gsf77

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Setting outside might help it clear, but it takes more than just one overnight. And low 40s isn't really cold enough to help much. Think 20s. It really helps to remove any excess tartaric acid more than it helps clearing. The number one ingredient to make good wine, patience, patience, patience.
Thanks, Yeah “patience” is killing me! I see the carboys everyday so it seems like an eternity. So from 20s to 60s wouldn’t mess up the taste?

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
It depends what you’re trying to remove, it can help.
However have tried this with dandelion treated with bentonite and there was no effect on turbidity.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
if you are interested in clearing the wine quickly use Super-Kleer K.C also marketed as Durafine. it is a two part clearing agent. will clear in 48 hours if temp is about 70deg
F.

rustbucket

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
We're all assuming that fermentation has stopped. If not, the temperature changes that you are anticipating may result in a stuck fermentation.

As to clearing, I second salcoco's recommendation.

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
@gsf77 - honestly, being a vintner places you squarely in opposition to take short cuts. Quite the opposite, really. Understandably, it's a difficult and woeful lesson to learn. We get it...

Last edited:

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Haste makes waste - in wine making that means - wasted effort, wasted $$ and potentially wasted Wine.

While your wine clears start another batch or start another hobby to keep you occupied while it clears.

Latest posts

Group Builder