Clearing question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobthousand

Junior
Reaction score
Absolutely noob question here - What is the purpose of clearing? I'm asking because I've made a batch of sugar wash with Alcotec 48 that I haven't cleared and the buzz is really harsh, like toxic after a couple days of drinking it, and with the limited knowledge I have of the process I'm getting the idea that there's some nasty crap in the sediment that which if removed might make the buzz, and hangover, better. Any input welcomed, thanks in advance.

If you made alcohol from sugar water, I wouldn't expect it to taste very good. This is one of the few cases where you can use a filter including carbon to help remove any flavors. Some people might use extracts to add back a little flavor of their choice.

If you made alcohol from sugar water, I wouldn't expect it to taste very good. This is one of the few cases where you can use a filter including carbon to help remove any flavors. Some people might use extracts to add back a little flavor of their choice.

Thanks for the reply. In what I'm trying to do here has little to do with taste though as all alcohol tastes unpleasant to me. I'm wondering if there are ways to make Alcotec 48 sugar wash's buzz less harsh by way of clearing, or by way or anything. Thanks again.

I did say carbon would help remove flavors, but my intent was to also say that it removes many types of contaminants, though I don't know if it will help your particular issue.

Also, give it some time. Might not help too much with what you made, but it should help some. Most wines have a rather harsh taste to them when they are first done. Time helps smooth them out. Arne.

"Clearing" only removes sediment. To the point that any of that sediment contributes to a harsh taste it might succeed in that. Without any other flavors to override the alcohol bite, there is really nothing to diminish the harshness. The by-products of the fermentation may diminish over time as Arne states but nothing is present to give what you made a palatable taste - You have made Ethanol water from what you have told us. Removing the other undesirable contents of your fermentation would require the use of other additives or simply a length of time. When we consume wine the same alcohol is present but the various flavors of fruit/grapes present cover that to the point where the drink is both palatable and pleasant. So while you can get the same 'buzz' doing so is not likely to be a enjoyable process nor diminish the hangover from consuming large quantities.

You are really creating something outside the scope of what we discuss and help with on this board. From your other posts, wine making is not what you are interested in and that is the purpose of this board. You have achieved your stated goal of making cheap alcohol but making it taste good the way you did it is simply not going to happen. You might make a batch with some grape juice concentrate but in the end the amount of alcohol and the raw/immature state of that too will be less than a pleasant beverage. It will get you drunk and it will produce a hangover, the second is the natural outcome of the first. The same end can be reached with a lot less trouble by simply buying a bottle of everclear or vodka and the taste would be probably be better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back