Clearing question...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milant

Junior
Reaction score
I want to start with the fact that it's too early to sound the alarm bells, but I do want to ping some more experienced wine makers on the question I have. This Select Chilean Sauv. Blanc I'm currently making is my fourth wine batch, but the first one that appears to be struggling to clear. I've added kit provided isinglass on 12/28 and it is fairly murky.
Let's get the obvious out of the way: I've given this batch a good degassing that for me includes about 30 minutes of "drill" stirring and about 2 days worth of pumping the CO2 using manual VacuVin pump. In my experience this methods tends to degas the batch pretty good, leaving the wine in a good state to clear quickly.
It's winter in Texas and I've been away from my home which is to say that I have allowed the temperature to drop to 61F during this clearing process. I know that should slow things down. I also have never used isinglass before (I usually use chitosan or sparkloid), so perhaps it takes a bit longer to clear.

Now, I know that eventually gravity will handle this on its own, but for arguments sake, if this batch doesn't clear in another 10 days, what would be the suggestion? Does it make sense to, at any point, rack it off and add a different clearing agent, i.e. sparkloid?!?

Thanks,
-m

I want to start with the fact that it's too early to sound the alarm bells, but I do want to ping some more experienced wine makers on the question I have. This Select Chilean Sauv. Blanc I'm currently making is my fourth wine batch, but the first one that appears to be struggling to clear. I've added kit provided isinglass on 12/28 and it is fairly murky.
Let's get the obvious out of the way: I've given this batch a good degassing that for me includes about 30 minutes of "drill" stirring and about 2 days worth of pumping the CO2 using manual VacuVin pump. In my experience this methods tends to degas the batch pretty good, leaving the wine in a good state to clear quickly.
It's winter in Texas and I've been away from my home which is to say that I have allowed the temperature to drop to 61F during this clearing process. I know that should slow things down. I also have never used isinglass before (I usually use chitosan or sparkloid), so perhaps it takes a bit longer to clear.

Now, I know that eventually gravity will handle this on its own, but for arguments sake, if this batch doesn't clear in another 10 days, what would be the suggestion? Does it make sense to, at any point, rack it off and add a different clearing agent, i.e. sparkloid?!?

Thanks,
-m

Did you use bentonite in the primary fermentation stage? It's usually included and helps the proteins along.

In any case, don't get antsy after 10 more days, and try to keep the temps constant. As the temps fluctuate, the wine moves as warmer wine rises and cooler wine drops until it reaches equilibrium. This makes clearing a problem.

Stable temps and time are my recommendation. If that doesn't work in a month or so, we can think about some other options.

Latest posts

Back