Clearing Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plato

Reaction score
I have three wines that are all finished up. They dried out and I have added Campdem Tabs and KSorbate. I sweetened them to my desired SG. They smell and taste great and Im ready to bottle however after I added the Campdem and sorbate it took on a murky look. not clear another words. I have let it set for two weeks and it shows no sign of clearing. Have I messed anything up or should I get some clearing agent? I might add that there are no sediments building up in the bottom either and no CO2 either.

What kind of wines are these? Did you use pectic enzyme or bentonite?

Steve

1 Black Berry
1 Strawberry
1 Peach

I used Pectic Enzyme at the begining of the process.

I have not used Bentonite.

If they taste and smell great, then the best thing to do right now is nothing. But do keep an eye on the airlocks don't let them go dry. They will clear in time. Option 2 is to go with a clearing agent. Either way don't bottle until they are clear or you will end up with sediment in the bottles.

I agree not to bottle cloudy wine. I would get some superclear and use it. They will clear (generally) quickly. Just for future reference I always use bentonite and pectic enzime in the primary so if I decide to use a clearing agent I can and sometime I don't need to..

Is it safe to use bentonite now and then in a few days use Sparkolloid? The reason I ask is because I have already added the Kmeta and Sorbate and back sweetened it.

Last edited:
I agree not to bottle cloudy wine. I would get some superclear and use it. They will clear (generally) quickly. Just for future reference I always use bentonite and pectic enzime in the primary so if I decide to use a clearing agent I can and sometime I don't need to..

x2 on the superkleer. I just fined some apple cider and some blush wine with it and 24hrs later it is already crystal clear.:r

Ive also used kieselsol/gelatin 2 part fining in the past and it has worked great too!

Latest posts

Back