clearing juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedNeckWino

Reaction score
I had a request from a friend that can not have alcohol, but he would like to try some apple pie and maybe some blackberry. I would like to spice up and clear some juice as normal for him. But... without alcohol as a preservative, will potassium sorbate hold back the spoilage and mold? :rdo Hope I don't have to clean out the fridge to settle this out for the next 6 months. Looking for maybe 1 gallon of each. Jeff

Apple Pie Spice

I made some apple wine and it had no flavor, went up to the kitchen and found some apple pie spice in the cabinet, used about a tsp in 5 gallons.
A little bit of it goes a long way, it was too spicey. I would go slow on adding it, and I think the taste grows a little with time.

Semper Fi

Sorbate does have some anti microbial properties. Kmeta is much more powerful in this area but even then without the alc to help preserve it it will need to be refridegerated to keep it from spoiling. If it neds to be cleared then I highly recommend using a fining agent like SuperKleer Kc to get this done fast so that he can rink it fast before it does spoil.

One thing to think about. If you are using fresh juice and let it sit without k-meta and sorbate, you will probably get alcohol whether you want it or not. Your wild yeasts will probably make it take off. Arne.

Latest posts

Back