Quantcast

Clearing by the bottle

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

kmitch747

Junior
Reaction score
I have roughly 3 bottles of extra wine that I had to take out of my carboy to make room for additives. Two of those bottles were after adding the metabisulphite & sorbate (this was for 2 batches of chocolate raspberry port I did at the same time in a 6 gallon carboy and I needed 8 cups of room for the F-pack) so I'm just going to let those sit and clear on their own, but one is from before the additives, so it's still cloudy.

Has anyone cleared just one bottle before? Should I even bother? It's not a full bottle, maybe a little over half. I know it's better to keep it just in case I need to top something else up, but I'm finding that everytime I end up with such a surplus and don't think I'll ever use any of this wine for topping up purposes. I hate to throw it out, but don't want to let it sit forever with no purpose!

Last edited:

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I wouldnt waste any fining agents on it if thats what you mean but it wont hurt to let it sit there for some time, just add a bery little sulfite every few months or drink it.

kmitch747

Junior
Reaction score
That's the answer that I was hoping for (that it would be ok to drink :h) I didn't know if that would make me sick. But if you say it's ok I trust you! I am really surprised at how much wine I had to displace. I have two whole bottles of just the Raspberry part of the port, without the chocolate f-pack, and it's pretty good! (took a little sip, hehe) I can't wait to try it when it's done! But I will wait, patiently :b

Thanks Wade!

smurfe

Reaction score
I normally just drink the excess wine without waiting for it to age or clear. If its a wine that needs to be sweetened I just spoon in some table sugar to the glass. Not too sophisticated but it don't waste any wine.

kmitch747

Junior
Reaction score
Well I'm doing it the "finevinewines" method of drink one, make one special, hehe. I did the Valpolicella for now, and then started a Shiraz (for now again, haha) and the chocolate raspberry will be my "special." I won't be dipping into that one at all!