Clear wine in a week?

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by bowhunter32, Jan 13, 2018.

1. bowhunter32

bowhunter32 Junior

Okay so I've made a few hundred bottles of wine for my upcoming wedding. I have 2 batches (peach, strawberry peach) that I used boiled down juices to backsweetening. I used a 2 part clarifier on them immediately after backsweetening 3 weeks ago. They are still not clear. Wedding is in 2 weeks. Any thoughts for clearing them in a week? Use 2 part clarifier again? Use a different clarifier? Basement is at 50° where they are currently.

2. Scooter68

Scooter68 Still getting started at 26 batches & 2 1./2 years Supporting Member

Change the wedding date - That wine is never going to be clear enough to serve by then unless you spend a bundle on filters and even then it's a long shot.

Or serve the wine in opaque glasses.

3. bkisel

bkisel Junior Member

Yes, I would try the 2 part clarifier again along with a another dose of pectin enzyme. I've had to do this in the past with my peach batches. Funny to me how apple clears so quickly and easily and peach is such a problem child.

4. Stressbaby

Stressbaby Just a Member Supporting Member

I agree with @bkisel - rack off of the first round of SuperKleer (if you haven't already), hit with pectic first, then the SuperKleer again.

5. salcoco

salcoco Veteran Wine Maker Supporting Member

get the temp up to 70degF superKleer does not like the cool temp. as for the peach to munch protein to clear easily good luck.

6. bkisel

bkisel Junior Member

How much time do you wait between the enzyme and the SuperKleer? Thanx.

7. Scooter68

Even at warmer temps (65-75 )Pectic Enzyme is going to take longer than a week really work.

When was the fermentation completed? Chances are that if the wine hasn't been aging for at least 4-5 months it's going to have a sharp edge to it

Filtering starting with course filters and working down to the finest may give some benefit but it would not completely clear the wine. ]

Using more fining agents runs the very strong risk of stripping out colors and taste. Most of those agents would require at least a week to work at a minimum with the wine already at a warmer temp.

Have you already bottled the wine? You make the comment "They are still not clear. Wedding is in 2 weeks. Any thoughts for clearing them in a week? "

I hate to rain on wedding plans but this doesn't sound like there is any path to success that is obtainable within 2 weeks time.

8. Stressbaby

Stressbaby Just a Member Supporting Member

In this case I'd go a week. Normally I'd wait longer than that but I'm not in a hurry like the OP is. Keller cites 4-5 days to clear a pectic haze. He also gives the method for testing for pectic haze using methylated spirits. I've never done this test but in this case it might be worthwhile, because if the test is negative, then OP won't waste a week waiting for the pectic enzyme to fail to work.

There is also a test for starch haze which might be worth doing, see the Keller link above. Desparate times call for desparate measures...

bkisel and Julie like this.
  9. JohnT

JohnT Moderator Super Moderator

I would get a filter. You can have it clear in 1 hour.

10. RonObvious

RonObvious Member

How do they taste? If they taste good, maybe look for frosted wine glasses - nobody will even notice the haze. :)

11. Scooter68

Will be interesting to see if we hear from Bowhunter about this soon. Given his timeline he's about 4 days away from the wedding (?)