Clear versus green/brown wine bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was pontificating generically. No direct personal association implied. Sorry if you thought so. My error for not being explicit. :)

And I appreciate your experimental nature. Believe I have said that before. Keep up the personal experiments.

Hope this helps.
agreed, and I said strive to recreate,
and although there are similarities, country wines are a totally different disciplinal,
and with it we or at least I only try to craft my wines in accordance with each years fruit/berry crop, no chalk, leather, flora or other notes in general, it is the chosen fruit that tends to be the note looked for, of course there are exceptions to all the rules ,,,
Dawg

and although there are similarities, country wines are a totally different disciplinal,

I have made fruit wines too. And I agree, very different discipline. Actually a lot more work than making wine from grapes. Which is one of many reasons** I stopped making fruit wines for now. It is simply easier, since I have grapes, to make wine from grapes. And that alone keeps me now too busy to deal with other fruits.

But, quite some time ago, I did use to make a darn fine black mulberry wine :) :

https://stcoemgen.com/2012/08/06/mulberry-wine/

**Another reason is there is no market here for fruit wines -- unless one uses it to make brandy, so it is only for home use. And, again, I have enough grapes for home use... plus.

I have made fruit wines too. And I agree, very different discipline. Actually a lot more work than making wine from grapes. Which is one of many reasons** I stopped making fruit wines for now. It is simply easier, since I have grapes, to make wine from grapes. And that alone keeps me now too busy to deal with other fru

But, quite some time ago, I did use to make a darn fine black mulberry wine :) :

https://stcoemgen.com/2012/08/06/mulberry-wine/

**Another reason is there is no market here for fruit wines -- unless one uses it to make brandy, so it is only for home use. And, again, I have enough grapes for home use... plus.
oh did you use the mulberry word, that is the love of my life right there, whew from reading on here it seems to me that grapes are very hard, i have a few mulberry trees, sadly the birds are even more in love with my black mulberries, lol .
as for markets i see you are a professional venter, me, just a home wine crafter, i am very small potatoes, law only allows me 100 gallon a year, hehe,
i need to make a Riesling or dessert wine someday, @NorCal has tried to get me to a time or two, had i not been under carbon monoxide poisoning the last couple years or so, maybe i would not have lost interest, but slowly i am getting my groove back. have a great day,
Dawg

I read through this thread and it peaked my curiosity about how much UV protection different colored bottles provide to wine. I found this article which seems to address most aspects of the light damage issue:

Wine Bottles: The Importance of Glass Color for Wine - Gravity Wine House

I gather and reuse wine bottles too and I think I could be a little more selective when deciding which ones to keep and what to recycle.

I gather and reuse wine bottles too and I think I could be a little more selective when deciding which ones to keep and what to recycle.
Of course if you store your bottles in a box, then it doesn't matter what color the glass is. UV protection only matters if your wine bottles are exposed to sunlight or other source of strong UV. My winemaking area has blinds over the window and LED lights. LED lights do not emit UV. Apparently fluorescent lights emit some UV, so if you have those you might need to take that into consideration.

I understand the benefit of "better safe than sorry," but in my case I am comfortable using some clear bottles to show the beautiful color of my fruit wines.

you'd hate me ,, lol
and to spirts no soda for me either,
Dawg

Oh... No. I would not critique your use of back sweetening. As anyone who has been here for... oh... five minutes.... knows I am a bit heavy on critique. But all really meant in good fun. In the end, I think everyone should make their wine their way, and as they enjoy it. Cheers!

The only things beyond critique are a man's religion and how he drinks his single malt scotch. But I think I repeat myself.... ;)

But... cough... getting back on topic. I think @vinny -- nailed it.

Last edited:
Oh... No. I would not critique your use of back sweetening. As anyone who has been here for... oh... five minutes.... knows I am a bit heavy on critique. But all really meant in good fun. In the end, I think everyone should make their wine their way, and as they enjoy it. Cheers!

The only things beyond critique are a man's religion and how he drinks his single malt scotch. But I think I repeat myself.... ;)

But... cough... getting back on topic. I think @vinny -- nailed it.
everybody on here knows,,,, I'm not prone to argue,,,, :i:h🤣,,,, 😉 ,,,, lol ,,,
Dawg

Vinny, that's cheating! You drank the wine.

Thinking out loud again. Why do you never see a Sell by, or a Use by date on wines from the supermarket?

I, for one, have never seen a "use by date" on wine bottles. But, since you are from the UK, maybe the Men From the Ministry has found some obscure UK regulation about that, even if not relevant for the rest of the planet...... :cool:

Vinny, that's cheating! You drank the wine.

Thinking out loud again. Why do you never see a Sell by, or a Use by date on wines from the supermarket?
I didn't drink it, yet. It was a top up. I dumped it in my current batch of Malbec, just to see if I can distinguish varietal characteristics in a lower end kit.

Latest posts

Back