Clear then cloudy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fzee2

Junior
Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon carboy of concord that has finished fermenting and has been allowed to settle to clarify. the last time I racked it the wine was very clear. I went to rack it after another 30 days and found it to be cloudy. It has not been disturbed or moved but has been sitting in my garage, protected, with an average temp of 40-45 degrees. The airlock was still full and I sterilize my equipment and carboys as I use them. Not sure if its pectin haze, contamination or to cold of temperature. Last time I racked it the SG's showed .995. Never had this happen before. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

Could it be suspended tartrate crystals? Maybe throw it in the fridge for a few days and see if it drops. You could seed it with some cream of tartar too and see if that helps form macro-crystals that will settle. Concord always drops acid like a hippie at Woodstock for me.

It’s been sitting in my garage with an average temp of 40 deg. What has me baffled is that at the last racking it was clear with only a smal layer of lees at the bottom. I didn’t need to move the carbon at all when I racked it this last time so it didn’t get stirred up at all. I added some insaglass to it three days ago so I’ll give it a few more days before I rack it again. Thanks for your suggestion! I’ll give it a go if needed.

I did and all equipment was sterilized as well. I gave it a taste and I didn’t detect any issues there. Would it hurt to add another round of k-meta?

Would it hurt to add another round of k-meta?

Excess sulfites can hurt the wine but killing the fruit aromas or producing the "match-stick" aroma fault. If your sulfite levels are sufficient, just give it time and lower the temp if possible to help it cold stabilize.

Latest posts

Back