Quantcast

clear enough to bottle?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

countrygirl

Reaction score

i sweetened my skeeter pee tonight. i just felt like it was still a little cloudy?
how clear does it need to be to bottle?

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
It lookks pretty clear from this shot but by all means if you have any doubt give it more time. Do you have a filter? This is a good example of where a filter can come into good use and if on a budget the Vin Brite gravity filter works great. Its what I use when I do filter which isnt often.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5292

xanxer82

Reaction score
I've got one of those. It's nice to polish wines with but time is what is needed to get things really clear.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Time is usually the best but I finally bottled a peach wine that just didnt clear well after a year and against evrything I know instead of adding SuperKleer I tried to filter it with this and it came out crystal clear.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Rica, I backsweetend one of my wines last week. It was very clear two days later and I bottled it. Three days later as I was putting the bottles away I notice sediment in each bottle. I ended opening every bottle back up and dumping them back in the carboy. Plus this meant recleaning and delabeling 30 bottles. If I had only waited a few weeks. This won't happen again to me.
By the way this is just between us as I do not want Tom to know about this.
3 P's!!!!!!!!!!!

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
Rica, I backsweetend one of my wines last week. It was very clear two days later and I bottled it. Three days later as I was putting the bottles away I notice sediment in each bottle. I ended opening every bottle back up and dumping them back in the carboy. Plus this meant recleaning and delabeling 30 bottles. If I had only waited a few weeks. This won't happen again to me.
By the way this is just between us as I do not want Tom to know about this.
3 P's!!!!!!!!!!!
Yup - my apple spice is clearing very nicely - i haven't even used super kleer yet - but it looks crystal clear. Did a racking last week - today i noticed a dusting on the bottom of the carboy.

Dan is right the 3 P's definitely apply here.

Minnesotamaker

Pee Meister
Reaction score
If it were mine and I were thirsty, I'd bottle it. I doubt there are any negative flavors contained in that little bit of haze. If it were something you were going to submit for judging, then more time would be in order.

countrygirl

Reaction score
If it were mine and I were thirsty, I'd bottle it. I doubt there are any negative flavors contained in that little bit of haze. If it were something you were going to submit for judging, then more time would be in order.
no judging, just drinking:db
(and giving as gifts)

ffemt128

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
It looks good to me, you could always five it another 2 weeks and go from there.

Mud

Unfunny
Reaction score
If you're gifting it's probably getting judged. <winks>

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
I agree - if it were just for your own consumption - bottle and drink away. If you are giving it away - you don't want to give bottles with sediment at the bottom IMO.

But if that is alright with you - to each their own ;)

countrygirl

Reaction score
i'll find out monday, lol. i gave one bottle to a friend whose been dying to try this "skeeter pee stuff". if i could just get some little bottles, lol, but i think i'll just put it in a wine bottle. i'm sure when it's opened, it's not going to last long anyway:db

Latest posts