Clear bottles source needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jal5

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What supplier is usually the best price? All my friends are red wine drinkers so clear bottles are hard to find!
Thx
Joe

Ouch!
I bottled it in brown hock bottles that were for riesling. A case of those and a case of burgundy bottles.

Or mooch bottles. Places like the chain Total Wine have frequent tastings. Ask them to save btlls as you require. Same for restaurants and bars.
Buy cheapo wine, not the above e.g., like $3 btl or so. It can be used for cooking and topping off batches too.

Haven’t had luck with restaurants saving them even when they agreed to do it. Hadmoreluck with giving a bartender a big tip at a banquet and saved two mixed cases for me.

Last time I bought bottles was at a redemption place. In Maine there is a 15 cent deposit.
So they will sell them for I think 21 cents ea. Still not bad for a case of used bottles.

Bill

I've gotten probably 50 cases of empty used bottles from a local winery. If you manage to speak to the right person, in my case the event coordinator, they will save them for you after big events like weddings, etc. They cannot reuse them and most wind up recycling them.

I made friends with a bartender at a local wine bar. She save about 50 bottles every 10 days. I stop by a couple times a month and pick up. She says she feels good recycling, and the bottle or two of wine I bring her as payment doesn't hurt either.

After google search I see a company mfg bottle washers for reuse of wine bottles commercially with much discussion of the poor carbon footprint of all wineries, some of which is the glass bottles. As far as I looked it is not illegal at all to properly wash and refill a wine btl commercially. . Brewers also have mostly stopped using returnables. A local soda pop near me in Winchester, KY has a cult following- Ale8one is a ginger based similar to Ginger Ale and family still owns the business. They pkg in cans and throwawy and return btls and many here swear the returnables taste better. What I see is lots of the non-returnables in the trash and on roadsides. nasty humans...

Latest posts

Back