Cleaning the barrel, Garage style

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Prepping for the final bottling. Transferred the 60 gallons out of the barrel and time to clean out the barrel. I use the (Harbor Freight $8) dolly to roll my barrel around my winery, but turned upside down is quite useful for cleaning. I made a cleaning wand (Home Depot $6) to make sure I clean all ares of the barrel. Makes for chore quick and painless.

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

I did much the same and added the HF $69 pressure washer for fun. I have a hot water spigot in my garage, into the pressure washer and into the barrel. I keep looking ant the spinning balls but haven't tried that yet:h. Are those holes I see in the sides of the cap?

Gotta love cheap Chinese tools repurposed:db. Basically since I can't afford the "right" ones.

Gotta love cheap Chinese tools repurposed:db. Basically since I can't afford the "right" ones.

I can afford any "right" tool, trust me. I believe there is honor and dignity in designing and creating tools with my own mind and hands that serve a worthy purpose. I would much rather have a marginal tool that was mine, than one that was ordered out of a catalog.

I can afford any "right" tool, trust me. I believe there is honor and dignity in designing and creating tools with my own mind and hands that serve a worthy purpose. I would much rather have a marginal tool that was mine, than one that was ordered out of a catalog.

Oh, ouch! I agree with you, I was speaking of the HF furniture dolly you repurposed:slp

I love DIY. If fact, I have so many DIY projects I turn around and trip over one or another all the time. Which, as the Bard said: Therein lies the rub. I can not add any more at this time.

Not only that, but fine professional made tools are.... well... simply nice to work with. No tool I made was as fun to work with than a fine professional tool. So I no longer bother (I guess I am too old now to bother making my own tools -- preferring to make great things with great tools that others made).

Not to mention, if something like cleaning goes wrong with a purchased too, I can often blame the manufacturer of a commercial product and kick that responsibility can down road. But if someone gets sick on a food item I made using a home made cleaning tool, then the legal and financial buck stops with me. Not sure I would risk that.

I love DIY. If fact, I have so many DIY projects I turn around and trip over one or another all the time. Which, as the Bard said: Therein lies the rub. I can not add any more at this time.

Not only that, but fine professional made tools are.... well... simply nice to work with. No tool I made was as fun to work with than a fine professional tool. So I no longer bother (I guess I am too old now to bother making my own tools -- preferring to make great things with great tools that others made).

Not to mention, if something like cleaning goes wrong with a purchased too, I can often blame the manufacturer of a commercial product and kick that responsibility can down road. But if someone gets sick on a food item I made using a home made cleaning tool, then the legal and financial buck stops with me. Not sure I would risk that.

I too have a number of DIY projects, some have been a flop some the have been published in winemaker magazine. This is one of my favorite; laser label aligner. Maybe $30 in parts.

IMG_1318.jpg

This is one of my favorite; laser label aligner. Maybe $30 in parts.
Why did you make this tool, why do you need a laser tag?
* And more to the question of the tool for washing the barrel. And it is impossible for this purpose to make a nozzle on a hand-car wash gun, for example Karcher?

Why did you make this tool, why do you need a laser tag?
* And more to the question of the tool for washing the barrel. And it is impossible for this purpose to make a nozzle on a hand-car wash gun, for example Karcher?

I wanted to solve the problem of getting my labels straight and at a consistent height. Nothing say amateur like crooked labels.

You need to be careful of pipe and tubing pressure ratings; a pressure washer would rupture standard plastic pipe if the nozzle has enough restriction.

Latest posts

Back