Cleaning/sanitizing spoon to push down grape skin bag

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenK

Reaction score
I'm making a red kit with a bag of dehydrated grape skins (RJS Baco Noir). In the directions it says to push it down with a spoon at least every other day. Obviously making up some one step and kmeta that frequently would be a PITA. I'm thinking of getting a 7.9 gallon fermenting bucket from the local homebrew shop tomorrow to keep Kmeta in and I'll just leave the spoon in there. Can I wash it with normal dish soap and leave it submerged in Kmeta or is one step necessary? Does the spoon have to be fully submerged in storage or will the fumes from a gallon of solution in the bottom sanitize it, Should I just leave a rag in the solution with it and wipe it down? If anyone has any wine-hacks I would appreciate the advice. I'm absolutely terrified of ruining this batch.

I'm making a red kit with a bag of dehydrated grape skins (RJS Baco Noir). In the directions it says to push it down with a spoon at least every other day. Obviously making up some one step and kmeta that frequently would be a PITA. I'm thinking of getting a 7.9 gallon fermenting bucket from the local homebrew shop tomorrow to keep Kmeta in and I'll just leave the spoon in there. Can I wash it with normal dish soap and leave it submerged in Kmeta or is one step necessary? Does the spoon have to be fully submerged in storage or will the fumes from a gallon of solution in the bottom sanitize it, Should I just leave a rag in the solution with it and wipe it down? If anyone has any wine-hacks I would appreciate the advice. I'm absolutely terrified of ruining this batch.

Early on, I had a bucket with a few inches of Kmeta in it and kept all of my frequently used tools in there, would just pull one out, use it, rinse it, stick it back in the bucket and seal the lid up. The fumes will keep it in good shape if the liquid isn't touching it. These days, just keep a gallon of Kmeta in a 1 gallon jug as well as a spray bottle with Kmeta in it. A quick spritz of Kmeta on the spoon before using it is all it takes, clean and dry when you're done and it's ready for its next spritzing.

Early on, I had a bucket with a few inches of Kmeta in it and kept all of my frequently used tools in there, would just pull one out, use it, rinse it, stick it back in the bucket and seal the lid up. The fumes will keep it in good shape if the liquid isn't touching it. These days, just keep a gallon of Kmeta in a 1 gallon jug as well as a spray bottle with Kmeta in it. A quick spritz of Kmeta on the spoon before using it is all it takes, clean and dry when you're done and it's ready for its next spritzing.
So do you just rinse with tap water and sanitize? Or do you also clean with something like one-step?

I use a big stainless steel spoon and in the morning make my coffee, pour the rest of the kettle over the spoon and leave it a minute then use it. Never had a problem in around 7 batches of wine.

Get a spray bottle and give it a spritz before stirring. A quick rinse and wipe is all you need afterwards.

Geeze...were making wine, not heart valves.

Latest posts

Back