Cleaning/Sanitizing Solution Residue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlt22

Junior
Reaction score
How does one prevent "spotting" that's left by the cleaning/sanitizing solution " on items after they've dried?

I use the Easy Clean no rinse solution on all my items, and i let them dry in a separate dish drying rack that's used only for my winemaking supplies. But it seems several items always tend to "spot-up" once they've dried, with what i assume are spots from the solution. I use the recommended ratio of 1tbsp to one gallon of water.

Any suggestions?

How does one prevent "spotting" that's left by the cleaning/sanitizing solution " on items after they've dried?

I use the Easy Clean no rinse solution on all my items, and i let them dry in a separate dish drying rack that's used only for my winemaking supplies. But it seems several items always tend to "spot-up" once they've dried, with what i assume are spots from the solution. I use the recommended ratio of 1tbsp to one gallon of water.

Any suggestions?
I use cleaning solutions to clean, not sanitize. I rinse with tap water after cleaning. I sanitize with kmeta just before using and do not rinse. No spots!

thanks for the suggestions. So, rinsing with distilled doesn't counteract any of the sanitizing? sorry, just still in a lot of "learning mode" with the whole process.

So, rinsing with distilled doesn't counteract any of the sanitizing?
Not sure. For equipment I sanitize with One-Step an hour or so before use then a quick rinse with distilled water just before I use it. I only use k-meta inside the bottles. Those I do not rinse with water before use.

thanks for the suggestions. So, rinsing with distilled doesn't counteract any of the sanitizing? sorry, just still in a lot of "learning mode" with the whole process.
You have to use some common sense about this hobby and life. KMeta produces an aseptic atmosphere, not sterile. Mold and bacteria can not continue to survive in an aseptic environment after about 2 minutes exposure to KMeta. To sterilize would require too much heat and time to kill all bacteria and mold for us common folk to contend with on a wine basis. If you have a jug of distilled water you want to keep it "distilled" and clean, therefore you will keep it covered unless you are pouring it. Less chance of contamination. Hope I haven't loss you or bored you to tears.

Thanks for all the explanations. And definitely not bored by the info - the more detailed the explanation, the better! I've been using a One-Step solution. But sounds like a splash or spray of the distilled just before use is a popular and effective step. I may also look at k-meta for inside the bottles as I've been using the one-step for all equipment and bottles.

Thanks for all the explanations. And definitely not bored by the info - the more detailed the explanation, the better! I've been using a One-Step solution. But sounds like a splash or spray of the distilled just before use is a popular and effective step. I may also look at k-meta for inside the bottles as I've been using the one-step for all equipment and bottles.
I don’t like using K-meta because of the fumes but it’s good insurance for safe bottling so I typically use it there. I used to use it in airlocks but switched to cheap vodka.

I don’t like using K-meta because of the fumes but it’s good insurance for safe bottling so I typically use it there. I used to use it in airlocks but switched to cheap vodka.
Cool! I like the vodka idea - I may try that!

I use cleaning solutions to clean, not sanitize. I rinse with tap water after cleaning. I sanitize with kmeta just before using and do not rinse. No spots!
Ditto. Ensure all equipment is free of foreign material before being put away. There is a possibility of microorganisms on the surface when taken out of storage for use, but a quick rinse with K-meta (or Star San) will remove them. "Sanitizing" is reducing microbial life to levels where it does not pose a serious threat.

I wrote a post regarding my understanding of sanitation and the process I use, which includes definitions of "sanitize" and "sterilize" with regard to winemaking.

When sanitizing with K meta I wear a mask that’s supposed to be used when dealing with chemicals. Picked them up at Lowes . Seams to help a lot.
Run a fan as well. My wife purchased a nice stand-fan, which I volunteered to store in my wine area when it's not needed elsewhere. ;)

Having a commercial winemaking background I use proxy(sodium percarbonate), followed by a citric acid solution and then a rinse this is the sanitizer most commercial wineries use, it both cleans and sanitizes.

Having a commercial winemaking background I use proxy(sodium percarbonate), followed by a citric acid solution and then a rinse this is the sanitizer most commercial wineries use, it both cleans and sanitizes.
Is sodium percarbonate essentially the same as OneStep? What is the rinse -- distilled water?

Is sodium percarbonate essentially the same as OneStep? What is the rinse -- distilled water?
No it’s not.
As for rinse it’s just water from the hoses in the winery it’s got a filter for chlorine but it’s just normal water we don’t worry about distilled water. Home winemakers seem to be fixated on needing to use it but you really don’t we also literally use tap water that’s filtered for water additions or acid and enzymes in commercial wineries we just filter chlorine out.

@Nebbiolo020, I checked -- One Step contains sodium carbonate, hence my confusion. One Step and sodium percarbonate both produce H2O2, so the effect is similar -- I don't know what the differences are. My son (chemical engineer) read a spec sheet for the public information on One Step and believes it's essentially industrial strength H2O2, and his advice was to treat it like any other strong chemical. Avoid skin contact and rinse well if it happens. In lieu of more detailed information, that is good advice.

Home winemakers often over-do things, based upon word-of-mouth understandings that are not fully valid. I've watched commercial winemakers and vineyard managers do things that would horrify our membership, including plunking bottles as-is from boxes onto the bottling line, and rinsing tanks from a common hose before filling with freshly pressed grape juice. The disposable lugs my grapes arrive in have never seen anything resembling a sanitizer.

Me? I over-do things as well. An intellectual part of my mind says, "you don't need to do all that,", while an emotional part says, "well, it doesn't hurt to do more." Which is true.

My approach for bottles is relatively simple. When I first get them from the recycling center I de-label, clean them and then sanitize before storing in big plastic tub container. (I use star-san for sanitizing.) Then just before bottling my wine, I select the bottles I need and sanitize them one more time checking for any mist spots or in case some critter decided to make a home inside the bottle. Since star-san is a no-rinse product the only issue I have is that sometimes a little of the foam remains in the bottle and gets pushed out when the bottle is filled. Since those bottles are drained well on a drying rack, I'm not worried about having too much sanitizer left in the bottle. Then the only spots that are possible are on the outside of the bottle and I "...Don't mind a little dust on the bottle, don't let it fool you about what's inside..." [David Lee Murphy Dust on the bottle]

Back