Cleaning pulp bags?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaDrafter

Junior
Reaction score
So we just racked over our first fresh fruit watermelon brew. First off, it was a complete success!!!! My question is does anyone have any suggestions on cleaning the pulp bag for my next batch? I don't want to use any harsh cleaners but am struggling to get it all the way clean. I am hanging it up to dry now and will wash again when all the remaining tiny pieces have dried.....

Yeah - that's one of my least favor clean-up jobs. I normally use rinse a lot, a lot - inside out and then reverse and after picking all the bits and pieces out that I can get out, I use One Step for a final rinse. Then Hang it outside on the clothes line to dry and let the sun bleach it a little. Then the next time I need it I rinse it again in the same solution.

Mine started breaking down more because I twisted and squeezed them so much not because of the cleaning solutions.

I use paint strainer bags purchased from hardware and home center stores. They're about $2 each. I usually just throw them away afterward. If they aren't too bad, I'll wash them out and reuse them.

So we just racked over our first fresh fruit watermelon brew. First off, it was a complete success!!!! My question is does anyone have any suggestions on cleaning the pulp bag for my next batch? I don't want to use any harsh cleaners but am struggling to get it all the way clean. I am hanging it up to dry now and will wash again when all the remaining tiny pieces have dried.....

Congrats! I've heard watermelon can be a tricky one to ferment. I take my bags outside and rinse them off with a hose. I then soak them in a pan with one step and that seems to get the stains out. Rinse and hang to dry. One step again before reloading for the next batch.

I used to rinse, scrub, rinse more, scrub more, etc.

Now I do as Rodnboro, I throw them away when done. I get them at Menards for $3 for 3 pack, so I just chalk the $1 up to "cost of doing business".

I normally clean and reuse but now that we're in a significant rainfall deficit and I'm on well water I'm going to buy some new ones for my next batches of fruit wines. It really takes a lot of rinsing under the faucet to get the bits and pieces out of the bags. Hmm, maybe cheese cloth would be cheaper to use and easier to clean then the nylon paint strainer bags?

I flip mine inside out and hose them off, works pretty well and then wash in one step then hang out to dry.

Latest posts

Back