Cleaning out the freezer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLIND9078

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
So I am cleaning out the Freezer today and want to use up my remaining berry's. I have 5.5 lbs of fredonia grapes, 3 lbs of Red Flame seedless grapes, and about a 1 lb of blueberry & raspberry mixed. I would like to make a small batch of wine but using this small of a quantity I am not what my ingredients measurements will be with less than 10 lbs of fruit. Any suggestions or an ad hoc recipe would be most welcome.

Not much of a recipe but I would thaw everything out and mix it together and then add pectin enzyme, enough for a one gallon batch. I would wait 24 hours and take SG. Add simple syrup a little at a time to reach desired starting SG. Measure pH and adjust.

if all of that does not give you a gallon plus then add water and sugar to arrive at a gallon with correct SG.
I have no idea what the taste would be but the blueberries will definitely add some complexity to it as well as acid.

when adding sugar and water to get desired volume I always try to go higher than one gallon to account loss due to lees.

EDIT: you are close to ten pounds of fruit if you mix them together. If you want to keep them separate just know that less fruit per gallon means thinner less robust final product.

Thank you Iridium for the advise, I had some blackberry's hidden away I had forgotten about so I added them too. I had a total of 15 lbs of fruit total. I added about 4 cups of water with the simple syrup bringing it up to about 3 gal. I went ahead and added the pectin and 3 crushed campden tablets bringing the SG up to 1.080. I let it sit overnight and plan on taking another SG before adding the yeast later today. The flavor profile may be all over the place with this crazy fruit cocktail but nothing venture nothing gained ... so they say 😬

The fruit coctaile is ok. No problem. Maybe better for 2 gallons than 3. If you have more berries bring it on. Try to get maybe 1200 gr more of blueberries. It will give the wine more body and not change the profile too much. Pectic enzyme is a needed friend.

Not much of a recipe but I would thaw everything out and mix it together and then add pectin enzyme, enough for a one gallon batch. I would wait 24 hours and take SG. Add simple syrup a little at a time to reach desired starting SG. Measure pH and adjust.

if all of that does not give you a gallon plus then add water and sugar to arrive at a gallon with correct SG.
I have no idea what the taste would be but the blueberries will definitely add some complexity to it as well as acid.

when adding sugar and water to get desired volume I always try to go higher than one gallon to account loss due to lees.

EDIT: you are close to ten pounds of fruit if you mix them together. If you want to keep them separate just know that less fruit per gallon means thinner less robust final product.
AGREED 100%
Dawg

Thank you Iridium for the advise, I had some blackberry's hidden away I had forgotten about so I added them too. I had a total of 15 lbs of fruit total. I added about 4 cups of water with the simple syrup bringing it up to about 3 gal. I went ahead and added the pectin and 3 crushed campden tablets bringing the SG up to 1.080. I let it sit overnight and plan on taking another SG before adding the yeast later today. The flavor profile may be all over the place with this crazy fruit cocktail but nothing venture nothing gained ... so they say 😬
hey i dump the freezer most every year, ya never know till you try,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back