Cleaning Floor Corker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lepidgeon

Junior
Reaction score
I just got a floor corker on Kijiji for 20$! It's quite dusty, was unused for a while. I cleaned all the dirt and dust on the outside, but what kind of cleaning do I need to do to make sur I don't contaminate my wine? I ran a few dry runs with sanitizer on the corks, but how do I clean it without taking apart?
Thanks!
ImageUploadedByWine Making1496888227.157940.jpg

Before installing the cork, I dip into a solution of alcohol, or the first fractions of grape distillation. This is how the cork is disinfected and lubricated during installation.

I guess you could run some sanitizer through those jaws but most sanitizers are a little tough on unprotected metal. Perhaps some everclear or vodka OR if you have some straight 80% rubbing alcohol - Just be sure to let it dry well before using. Those would do a pretty good job of killing off a lot of possible bacteria.

Wiping down the jaws and that plunger is about all you need to worry about. The plunger should only be hitting the top of the corks so really just the jaws need to be cleaned.

Latest posts

Back