Cleaning dirty Bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunter

Junior
Reaction score
When do you draw the Line on Cleaning a Dirty Bottle?

I just started making wine a few weeks ago. But started preparing "Wine Country" (Thats what me and my Wife call my Corner of the basement) a couple months ago. Started Collecting Bottles and getting them ready and have a good 60 to start. I am Planing on making a batch of Skeeter Pee was talking to a friend and he suggested using the Grolsh Bottle. You know the ones with the Rubber stopper top. He Happened to have 20 in his Garage. I thought Great it was an Great Idea. Got them the other day. OH MY GOD some of them are disgusting Look like they have never been rinsed just dirty moldy. When do you draw the line? And how do you deal with them?

Take the rubber washer off and replace While off (washer) soak them in HOT water and use a bottle brush to get most off. Then drain and add a "oxy" cleaner and let soak for a day. Using the bottle brush scrub away.

Yeah, Hot soapy water, maybe even some bleach in the beginning letting them soak. Bottle brush them. Soak again. Rinse well......

or buy a case of new ones.

As above - elbow grease - brush - hot water.

Don't use regular soaps or bleach.

Your bottles may look clean, yet the perfumes and film will always be there and will affect your wine.

Use food grade cleaning products available from your local wine store.
Diversol or brew clean - pink powder stuff is a protein eater without perfumes.

Rinse with hot water thoroughly after brew clean.

Don't use a bottle that you can't get 100% clean.

Cheers
Brian

I find that the decisions of when to toss a bottle is directly related to how easy it would be to replace. If you have a good supply of bottles, you can be choosy and take the ones that require the least effort. The bottles you're talking about are often a bit harder to find free of charge, so I'd likely put more effort into them.

I find that the decisions of when to toss a bottle is directly related to how easy it would be to replace. If you have a good supply of bottles, you can be choosy and take the ones that require the least effort. The bottles you're talking about are often a bit harder to find free of charge, so I'd likely put more effort into them.

Ditto I agree

I draw the line when I get a bag of wine bottles and when I take them out to clean, I fine they are all splattered with cement. In the garbage they go! (My brother he is a bricklayer)

I draw the line when I get a bag of wine bottles and when I take them out to clean, I fine they are all splattered with cement. In the garbage they go! (My brother he is a bricklayer)

...can't...resist...

1. Either your brother takes his work home with him or...
2. Must be a Union Job...
3. You do know that wine and mortar don't mix...
4. Whadda mean I'm at the wrong house, *hic*
5. LUNCH!!
6. I'm sorry, but your brother walled himself in by mistake...
7. Two Bricklayers walk into a bar...

Don't for get to tip your waitress!!

It's all in good fun Julie...no offense intended. Like I said, I couldn't resist.

Peace,
Bob

Latest posts

Back